Wedding Edition | Gift List

June 12, 2013

Hello ♥

I've been well and truly hit with the blogging bug so I'm back again with yet another post. Not only that I've been bitten by the wedding bug too!  For some reason when the weather is nice and sunny I just can't help but think of weddings and how I want mine to turn out.  I must warn you as the weather gets nicer there may be more wedding themed blog posts amongst my others!

 photo weddingedition-1.jpg


Yesterday A Thrifty Mrs posted a blog about Budget Wedding Presents which got me thinking about wedding gift lists.  From my experience, in the U.K. more and more couples opt for a wedding gift list rather than allowing the guests pick and choose what they wish to give. The happy couple will go to John Lewis, Next, House of Fraser and pick their favourite items that their guests can then go and buy for them. To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about this.

As a child I never asked for certain things for my birthdays. Whatever I was given would be a surprise and I was completely thrilled no matter what. To me, it wasn't about getting what I wanted (if I did it was a bonus) but it was the thought that really counted. Even to this day when someone asks me what I want for my birthday or Christmas I feel incredibly awkward and rarely come up with any answers.  Of course, I wrote letters to Santa but I genuinely never expected to get anything on my list and often I didn't.  To be honest, once I did have my presents in front of me I think I pretty much forgot the things I apparently wanted.  I remember one year asking Santa for Teacher Barbie which came with two children, desks and a blackboard that made bell noises and such. I never got it that year but I wasn't disappointed, I had been given a lot of great things. When I got it the year after I'd asked I was just as thrilled.

So the thought of going to a shop like John Lewis and specifically picking out items I want people to buy for me feels wrong. If someone wants to buy us presents that is great and such a lovely gesture but I really don't want them to feel like I expect something when I really don't. I like the fact that if we are gifted something it will have been thought through by that person and not just mindlessly bought because we put it on a silly list.


I know there are benefits to making a gift list. You don't have to worry about duplicates.  It's convenient for guests as they don't have to worry what to buy. You can ask for things that you'd never buy yourself or have the money to splurge on. But it still feels cheeky to me to ask.

My real pet peeve when it comes to wedding gifts is when people ASK for money. I know you've shelled out on a beautiful day, really I do. It hasn't been cheap. It's taken a lot of time and effort. You want a holiday and some spending money would go a long way. But for me, it just feels rude.  As a guest, you can get away with buying something in the sale or cheaper than it looks to fit your budget. Giving money shows exactly what you would spend on them and it shouldn't be about that. I was always taught it isn't how much you spend but the thought and time you put into choosing the gift.  If someone chooses to give us money of their own accord, well, that is completely acceptable and would be graciously received.

I think a Wedding Gift List just isn't for me and I will probably give it a miss (I'll need to tell the fiancé this!). When we have already got so much and everything set up in our house, it would make me feel so awkward putting out a list when I know that all our guests come from different kinds of money.  Of course, if a Wedding Gift List is on your wedding checklist that's completely your choice. Each to their own and all that!

What do you think? Is preparing a Wedding Gift List a good thing or does it feel cheeky to you too?

Until next time!

Follow on Bloglovin
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

6 comments :

  1. I think I would make a wedding gift list but also leave the possibility open for people to give me something not on the list. Also, there are all sorts of items with all sorts of price ranges that you need for your home, so financial background shouldn't be too much of a problem. I guess I would just want to avoid getting a bunch of random cutesy crap that I don't need and then have to go and spend all that money all over again on stuff I do - why should it be spent twice, right?

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! For me, we already have all the bits and pieces we need (and mostly want) for our home so have no requirement to ask for things on a list. I'd rather just have someone give me a gift from the heart if they wished to get us anything at all.

      I completely see what you're saying though. Sometimes a gift list just makes more sense for people.

      Thanks for dropping by.

      Debi

      Delete
  2. Oooh yay I love wedding posts! :) I was just the same as you as a child never asking for certain things for birthdays so I understand where you're coming from with the wedding list thing! It's not something my fiancé and I have discussed yet so I'm not sure if we'll have one. It certainly would be so much more heartfelt for the guests to choose a gift themselves, particularly close friends and family who know you well and could potentially give you something much more meaningful and personal :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog by the way! :) Ria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also prefer buying a present for the happy couple that I have thought about myself! Of course, it's just my opinion :) There'll probably be some more wedding related posts in the coming weeks so do drop by again soon!

      Debi

      Delete
  3. Great post Honey! I've skipped the wedding gift list too! It's just not for me and I feel uncomfortable asking for gifts although as a guest at a wedding I always buy the couple a present and love doing so!

    rachael-victoria.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm glad I'm not the only one who would feel weird asking for things!

      Debi

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .