What I'm Loving This Week #3 | Music Edition

June 20, 2013

Hello ♥

When I'm feeling down or when I need something to give me a kick up the butt to make me do the housework I like to turn on some music and dance my way through my woes and chores.  So this week I present to you my music edition of What I'm Loving This Week.

Now I'll be honest, I'm not really down with all the "cool" music floating around nowadays. I don't like Rihanna, Lady Gaga is not my style and, whilst Adele has a phenomenal voice, it's not the kind of music I turn up. That being said, I am partial to a little bit of Taylor Swift and the occasional One Direction song but I blame my younger sister for that. I couldn't tell you what is number one in the UK charts and there are dozens of artists around that I've never even heard of.

Time and time again I return to the music I listened to when I was a teenager. Somedays you'll find me listening to the Foo Fighters or Greenday or Sum41. Other days I'll be singing along to Bryan Adams (my little guilty pleasure) or old school Maroon 5 and Jason Mraz.

The wonderful thing about music is that it can really take you back to the first time you listened to it or became obsessed with a band. This week I've been transported back to about the ages of 15 to 18 with these albums. I am no music expert so please don't expect some kind of proper music review. I have just really loved revisiting these albums this week.

 photo DSC01806.jpg

Kara's Flowers - The Fourth World
Featuring four out of the five founding members of Maroon 5, Kara's Flowers only ever had two albums and The Fourth World was the only one officially released with a record label. Described as alternative rock, I love the quirkiness to their songs with "Myself" and "Soap Disco" being my favourites.

Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
I love Jenny Lewis!  I went to see her on her Acid Tongue tour in 2008 and it was amazing.  Acid Tongue features a number of other artists such as Johnathan Rice (Jenny & Johnny), Elvis Costello, Benji Hughes and the gorgeous Zooey Dechanel (She & Him). The sound is beautiful and the vocals are incredible. I could listen to Jenny Lewis all day, every day.

Blink 182 - Greatest Hits
Nothing quite cheers me up than listening to some good old Blink 182. In 2010, I bought my other half and I tickets to see them live for our five year anniversary and we got to relive some of our youth. Songs such as "Dammit" and "All the Small Things" make me feel like I'm about fourteen again and instantly make me smile (and dance like a looney).

Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight
It's no wonder I love Los Angeles rock band, Rilo Kiley, when their lead singer is Jenny Lewis. I saw them play live in 2007 (in a month where I had another gig every week) and it was an awesome show. Great songs and a beautiful voice make for a great album. My favourite songs from this album are "Breakin' Up", "Give A Little Love" and "Under the Blacklight".  

The Like - Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?
I first saw The Like perform while they were supporting Maroon 5 on their "Songs About Jane" tour in 2004 (I think). Funnily enough, this tour also had Johnathan Rice supporting who appears on Jenny Lewis' "Acid Tongue" album. This all female, alternative rock band only released two studio albums, the first being "Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?"  I particularly like the songs "June Gloom" and "What I Say and What I Mean". 

Do you ever have days where you listen to music from when you were younger? What music do you enjoy nowadays?

Until next time!

Don't forget you can now follow me on twitter (@dibdabdebsblog) and bloglovin'!

Follow on Bloglovin
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. I really enjoy All the Small Things by Blink 182, :) I use to sing it all the time when I was younger and never fell out of love with the song!

    xoxo -B ♡
    http://msberrystylish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I still love it after all this time!
      Thanks for dropping by!
      Debi

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .