Tuesday's Thought of the Day #9

July 30, 2013

Hello ♥

Nine weeks since I started this Thought of the Day post and there are still dozens of quotes I would like to use in the future.  I hope that you are enjoying them as much as I do. If you are a new reader or simply missed last week's Thought of the Day you can find it HERE.

 photo image-90.jpg

I'm sure that we can all relate to feeling stupid once in a while. Maybe during a conversation with someone you say something that turns out not to be true and suddenly you feel self conscious and stupid. I know I get like that. It isn't that I hate being wrong. I just hate looking like an idiot.

I know that this, for me, stems from childhood. I was one of the more intelligent children in my class when I was little and as a consequence I was occasionally picked upon as happens so often in the classroom growing up. Getting an answer wrong was a cardinal sin and I was made to feel stupid by some of my meaner classmates.  I actually have a vivid memory of having my maths marked by my teacher and getting one wrong. The boy in line behind me made some snide remark about how could I possibly get something wrong - I was "always right".  By the age of ten, I had pretty much stopped sharing test marks and raising my hand in class; anything not to stand out.

I love learning new things. Watching history programmes or getting sunk into a book is something I enjoy doing on a regular basis. Expanding my knowledge on my favourite subjects makes me feel like I am doing something worthwhile. I only wish that someone had told me before that getting something wrong didn't  mean I was stupid but that I was educating myself, learning from mistakes.

We never stop learning whether from mistakes or educating ourselves on a new subject. Life is one big lesson. So the next time that you learn something you never knew before and feel silly for never realising such a thing don't think of yourself as stupid. Instead take a moment to realise that, actually, you just learnt something new and an intelligent person knows that there is always plenty left to learn.

 Until next time!


Please follow me on:
bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. I definitely know what you mean about fearing being ridiculed for making a mistake. I am always trying to learn more, even when I'm not in class, so I love this thought of the day!

    Ring-a-Round a Rosey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love learning something new and being able to share that knowledge with someone!

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .