Wedding Edition | Traditions I Will...

August 26, 2013

 photo weddingedition-1.jpg


Hello ♥

It's been a while since I've done a Wedding Edition post so here we are again!

When I think of a wedding I immediately envision the bride all dressed in white being walked down the aisle by her dad, confetti being thrown, photographers snapping away capturing the happy moments, the secret glances, the special smiles.  There is a structure to a wedding day that as a guest or member of the bridal party that you just kind of expect to happen.

To many, a wedding is a list of dos and don'ts, of traditions that date back through many generations. There are countless wedding traditions and in this two part series I plan to tell you about the three I plan on doing and the three that I most definitely will not.

I Will...

The groom mustn't see the bride on the day of the wedding
This will be, by far, the hardest thing for me. My other half and I have been living together for two years come the first of September and have never spent a night a part since. In fact, I actually have a lot of difficulty sleeping without him and need to have my dog for company! And yet, this is a tradition I'd like to stick to. Sure, it means he'll have to stay with his parents and I'll probably be alone until morning when my bridesmaids pick me up to get ready but I love the idea of seeing him for the first time on our special day being the moment I walk down the aisle to be his wife.

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue
Despite having no real reason as to why, I absolutely love this tradition and have all intention of doing just that.  I don't think that it is nearly as difficult as many I bride claims it to be. In my eyes it's simple. Something old can be as simple as a piece of jewellery you've had for years. Obviously your something new is most likely to be your wedding dress. Something borrowed could be a hair clip borrowed from a friend, sister or your mum. Hey, it might even be your something old!  Something blue could be flowers, jewellery or even underwear!

Being given away by your father
Now, I understand that this dates back to the days when women were regarded more as property and were given to their new husband by their father. Yes, you could say it is somewhat outdated and the feminist in me is appalled by the idea of being treated like something to own. Despite this, I will be having my dad walk me down the aisle.  It is no secret that I am a daddy's girl. I love my parents to the moon and back. The idea of getting to spend an extra minute alone with my dad will be really special. I know he'll calm my nerves with a joke and make me smile. Plus, it'll be good to have someone to hang onto in case my legs turn to jelly!

What wedding traditions do you like or, if you are married, did you stick to? Don't forget to keep an eye out for my post on the wedding traditions I won't be sticking to coming soon!

Until next time!


Please follow me on:
bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. I think I broke all these "rules" on my wedding day ... me and my now husband got ready together and went to the ceremony together, I wasn't really into the about the something old and we got married without our parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a wedding day should be what the couple wants and not just doing things because its the tradition. I like these ones but each to their own! :)

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .