Wedding Edition | Traditions I Will Not

September 02, 2013

 photo weddingedition-1.jpg

Hello ♥

Last week I shared with you three of the common wedding traditions that I want at my wedding. If you are interested in what I had to say but missed it you can find it HERE. Today it's time to share with you the traditions I will be leaving off my list of things to do! As always, these are just my opinions and I'm in no way out to upset or offend anyone should these be things you want to do at your wedding (or have done).

I Will Not...

Have the bride's family pay
I know that tradition states that the bride's family is meant to pay for the wedding day but this is something that I have never believed in.  Firstly, this comes from a time when a dowry was offered with the bride to the new husband and his family as they were now agreeing to take care of her and this was meant to sweeten the deal.  As a bit of a feminist, I couldn't agree to something like this. Moreover,  I'm the fourth out of six daughters and there's not a chance that my parents could afford to pay for our wedding!  Plus, if I'm honest, I would feel so cheeky asking my dad to put his hand in his pocket for something that I am choosing to do.  

We are incredibly fortunate to have very generous families who do try to spoil us and even take care of us although we are adults. I won't be at all surprised if both sides of our family will offer to put a bit of money towards it.  Although mainly, it will be myself and my other half that foot the majority of the bill and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Be wearing a veil
Wearing a wedding veil was meant to hide the bride's beauty and was thought to ward off evil spirits. During the time when arranged marriages were much more common the bride's face would be covered until the couple were officially married.  Probably to stop the groom running off before the I dos were said!  Well, I'm not afraid of any evil spirits nor am I entering into an arranged marriage so what is the point in a veil?  Of course, some women look fantastic on their wedding day wearing a beautiful white dress and gorgeous veil. I, however,  think I would look pretty ridiculous and therefore will be avoiding them!

Throw my bouquet
In every wedding film there is always a scene where the bride throws her bouquet into a screaming group of single women who normally proceed to fight over it like a pair of toddlers.  Supposedly the girl who catches the bouquet will be the next to marry.  I will not be doing this.  For one, I plan on having faux flowers at my wedding so that I can keep my bouquet as a sort of souvenir of the day. Not only that, faux flowers can be a lot less expensive! When you are working on a tight budget you learn that some things just are not worth the money. For me, fresh flowers are one of these things.

Well, there you have it! Three things that I'm just not interested in doing. Is there anything that you are planning on skipping come your wedding day? Are there any traditions that you didn't do?

Until next time!


Please follow me on:
bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

8 comments :

  1. I agree with these, I did have a veil although never over face, Weddings are full of old fashioned and annoying customs, it's your day and it should be what makes you happy, the wedding is one day but the Marriage is what lasts (hopefully!) the rest of your life :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I feel like a wedding is a bit of a minefield. You always want to keep everyone happy and doing something might please ten people but one person will be upset or annoyed. When it comes to it though, it'll be what we want. Although I'd just go to the registry office with the other half and our immediate family all plain clothed if I could. I know it would annoy people too close to us though!

      Debi x

      Delete
  2. I think veils are a bit funny as well! I hope you have an amazing wedding :)

    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a bit outdated now, in my opinion!

      Debi x

      Delete
  3. My faux flowers bouquet now decorates our apartment dinning table, I love still being able to keep it and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely. I hope to be able to use mine like that too. It'll be a nice reminder of our special day!

      Debi x

      Delete
  4. I love this feature! And your blog design looks great by the way. I had a veil but I know what you mean mine was more a shield in case I got stage fright which is silly really I know.

    www.rachael-victoria.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's nothing wrong with veils of course! Just not to my liking. To be fair though, maybe I should consider one for stage fright! I'm hopeless in front of groups of people! Haha.

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .