Let's Talk About | Looking Young: A Curse or a Blessing?

October 21, 2013

 photo LetsTalkAbout-1.jpg

Hello ♥

We have been raised in a society that idolises the young and the beautiful. Female celebrities in particular have been known for being victims of ageism, losing their jobs for younger versions of themselves. Television presenters are often "no longer needed" when a show is "revamped" to bring in someone younger to appeal to a different market. It is no wonder that women find themselves looking for that secret to looking young for longer.

There are thousands of lotions and potions out there that claim to hold the secret that can make you look ten years younger. The shelves in beauty stores are stacked with anti-wrinkle creams and firming and lifting serums. Each promising to maintain your youthful appearance for longer. 

With society's emphasis wanting only to see the beautiful youth on the television and in magazines it is unsurprising the amount of people in the public eye that turn away from the lotions and look for a quick fix. There are chemical peels can be performed by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to lessen wrinkles while Botox, face lifts and all sorts of fillers are a more evasive way to stay looking young. There are a number of procedures out there that I had never even heard of until I started looking into it for this post. Honestly, I am surprised by the lengths that some people clearly go to to stay young.  I know that I am only 24 years old, and maybe I'll be singing a different tune in fifteen years time when my hair is grey and my face lined with wrinkles caused by the stresses and strains of life, but going to such extremes baffles me.
Recently, I was told (by multiple people) that they thought I was still in my teens. To put that into context that means that people thought I was at least five years younger than I am. In all honesty I didn't know whether or not to take it as a compliment. Yes, it is nice to look young and not be battling with wrinkles yet (there are a few grey hairs I already have to contend with) but I don't think looking like a teenager is exactly something to be overjoyed about. 

It explained a lot as to how I was being treated in this specific situation. Suddenly, the fact that what I was saying wasn't being taken seriously made sense. In their eyes I was a teenager; young and unworldly. My opinions certainly didn't have as much weight as some of the other people in the group. I was being spoken down to and my thoughts often went unnoticed only because they believed I was younger than I am.

People have also been known to turn their noses up at me when they realise I'm engaged. I've heard the words "but you're so young" more times than I care to think about. It doesn't matter to them that I've been in a stable relationship for eight years. If I look young then I must be irresponsibly rushing into it. I'd hate to think how strangers would react if I was to get pregnant!

The truth is there are good and bad points about looking young and old. Trust me, sometimes looking young (and younger than you are) isn't all that it is cracked up to be. Then again, as I said before, maybe I'll be saying something different fifteen years from now when I'm surrounded by potions and lotions that promise to get rid of those pesky little lines!

Until next time!



Please follow me on:
bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

6 comments :

  1. When I was your age I felt the same, even in my late 20s some people thought I was still in my teens and it was hard to get some people to take you seriously, as you say.
    But believe me the day will come when you will be really, really glad to look younger than you are! In the meantime look after your skin - moisturise it and most importantly keep out of the sun, or at least use a very high SPF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there'll come a time that I'm pleased about looking younger but it's horrible to not be taken seriously because I look younger than I am. It's just not all its cracked up to be!

      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Such a great post. I look really young too and often get ID'd for a lottery ticket! I know how you feel about feeling that people look down on you and not taking you seriously. And even though i'm 2 days older than my fiance he looks a lot older so sometimes i wonder what people must think if i look so young and he looks so old. Though on a whole i'm glad i look younger rather than older; especially as i don't feel my age anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I'm four months older than my fiancé but people often think he's older than me. If I'm with him I won't be IDed but if I'm by myself I will be. It's strange. I certainly don't feel 24. Well, at least, not until I remember all the big girl responsibilities I have!

      Debi x

      Delete
  3. Definitely agree! I've been told I look a lot younger when I'm actually 23, and last week I was getting the Megabus, I was 5 minutes early rather than the 15 minutes you're meant to be- due to trains being delayed. And the driver was so rude and said to me 'oh I've heard that one before, let me add that to my list of excuses' and I literally felt about 12 years old. I reckon if I'd looked older or more of my own age he wouldn't have been so rude or even bothered to make a comment! On the plus side.. I hope it means I'll look a lot younger when I turn 40 or 50 ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree that it'll probably pay off when we look younger aged 40 or 50! It is unfair that people can be rude just because they see us as teenagers or younger than we really are.

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .