The A to Z of Me Series | Estonia

October 17, 2013

Hello ♥

I may have mentioned before that I am a quarter Estonian. In other words, my maternal gran was from Estonia and moved over to Scotland before meeting my grandpa and having my mum and uncle. Having Estonian heritage in Scotland isn't a particularly common occurrence and so, as a child especially, I always thought it was quite a special little fact about who I am. In all honesty, it is something I have been known to brag about a little.  Therefore, it's no surprise that...
 photo Label.jpg

E is for Estonia

In the summer of 2005 and 2006, I was fortunate enough to have two wonderful summer holidays in Estonia where I was able to meet countless relatives for the first time. During both holidays we spent time in the capital, Tallinn, in the north of the country as well as in Pärnu in the south-west.

 photo Tallinn-1.jpg
Tallinn: View of the city, St Nevski Cathedral, The Parliament building
 
Tallinn is a wonderful city in which we spent hours exploring the beautiul streets in the Old Town abd taking in sights such as the St Nevski Cathedral, Kiek in de Kok (translation: Peek in the Kitchen), Viru Gate, the Parliament building, Toompea. We found a little gem of a restaurant the first year that served a chocolate cake so amazing that we went back in 2006 and ordered it again! One of the highlights from our time spent in Tallinn was having dinner in the gorgeous town square which was still bustling at 11pm on my sister's birthday. It was such a surreal feeling to be there.

 photo parnu.jpg
Parnu: Late night beach walks, nature park

Pärnu is the beach resort in Estonia where we stayed for most of our holidays. We spent countless days lounging about in the glorious sand and paddling in the warm Baltic Sea. Moreover, most nights we found ourselves walking along the beach, our toes in the still warm water at 10pm, watching as the sun began to set. It was amazing.

 I have so many fond memories of our time in Pärnu: 
* the shopping was incredible and all us girls went home with multiple pairs of shoes  
* eating dinner at Kuursaal and watching the massive dragonflies scoot above our heads
* sitting in the sunshine eating pizza in Koidula Park
* family barbecue in a thunderstorm
*our walk through a nature park with family

All this talk of holidays in Estonia is making me desperate to go back! I'd love to talk my other half to see both Tallinn and Pärnu. Maybe a weekend trip to Tallinn should be on the cards in the next few years. After all, it is gorgeous and I am a quarter Estonian.

Until next time!


Please follow me on:
bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest

The A to Z of Me is a series. You can see Letter D HERE.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. It seems like a lovely country coming from various cultures is always lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love knowing that there's another culture that I can be a part of. Plus it's a really beautiful country!

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .