The Christmas Series | The Best Things About Christmas

November 29, 2013

 photo Titlepicture.jpg

December is just a few short days away now and I can already feel the excitement of Christmas building. I know that I began my Christmas Series at the beginning of November, which some might have considered too soon, but I wanted to get all the helpful kind of posts out the way so that December could be dedicated to all the fun things I do in the run up to Christmas Day. I've already written about Fighting the Urge to Splurge, my Decoration Wish List and my Budget Gift Guide for Him & Her but today I thought I'd share my favourite things about Christmas (and the build up in December.)

1. Family Time
To me, Christmas is all about spending time with family. Now that I no longer live with my parents, Christmas and New Year has to be carefully split up so as to make sure we see both families. That way no one feels left out. There is nothing better than spending time with people you love, particularly if there is good food involved.


 photo DSC01686.jpg
Not the best picture of last year's Christmas tree but I messed up and ruined the better one I did have!

2. Putting up the Christmas Tree
When December 1st rolls around I find my fingers twitching to pull out all the Christmas decorations from the cupboard and get started on making the house look festive. I know a lot of people who have a specific time that they put up their Christmas tree; for some it's two weeks before, the weekend before, Christmas Eve. In our house, it is fast becoming the first weekend in December. Maybe a bit early by others' standards but I feel it frees up the rest of the month for Christmas shopping and other fun activities.

 photo christamsmovies.jpg

3. Watching Christmas Movies
Some Christmas movies drive me nuts (who thought Christmas with the Kranks was a good idea?)  but watching others have become somewhat of a tradition. Growing up my other half every year would watch The Muppets Christmas Carol on Christmas Eve with his sister while my family opted for the more sophisticated It's A Wonderful Life. Even now we still make the trip to my parents house to watch it and it always puts me right in the mood for the big day. However, now that my other half's sister has two little boys we have to settle for watching The Muppets Christmas Carol at any time in December.

4. Christmas Music
Whether it is Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas or good old Jingle Bells, it is near impossible to listen to Christmas music and not smile. Sure, if listened to too early or too frequently it can get very annoying but that's why I have a couple of rules. 1) No Christmas music until December and 2) Christmas music may be listened to whilst decorating the house or wrapping presents.

 photo DSC01704.jpg
What the dog did last year in all the wrapping paper. She also wrecked two new toys within an hour! 
You can actually see the hole in the burger toy.

5. Wrapping Presents
I love wrapping presents at the best of times so when I'm faced with a huge stack of gifts to wrap I'm in heaven. Surrounded by cute wrapping paper, tags and ribbons whilst sipping on a hot chocolate (with marshmallows and cream) is just a perfect way to spend a chilly afternoon.

6. Christmas Dinner
I love Christmas dinner. Turkey, roast potatoes, a tonne of vegetables, family squashed around the table, talking and laughing; what isn't to love about that? This is the first year I won't be having dinner with my family so I'm not entirely sure what to expect as we are at the other half's parents' house. Don't tell the mother-in-law but it's going to be near impossible to better my mum's Christmas dinner!

Well there you have it; the best things about Christmas. What traditions does your amily have and what are your favourite things about Christmas?

Until next time!



Please follow me on:
bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

4 comments :

  1. I always thought the first week in December was too early to stick your tree up until I moved to the US. Like today, day after thanksgiving and everyone seems to have real trees attached to their car roofs so I guess most are going up this weekend here. Which is what normally we do since I've moved, but I have to struggle and battle with our apartment to try and find the space to put a tree in!

    A new tradition has been driving around seeing people's outside Christmas lights, some people decorate the entire house and time it to music, others just have some crazy light up things in the front garden. It's fun to see how it's all decorated - American's really take it up to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think the first week in December was too early to but now that I don't live with my family I like to get it done early so that I can spend the weekends in the run up to Christmas seeing them and doing other fun Christmassy stuff.

      I love the idea of driving about to see other's Christmas decorations but, as you know, the UK doesn't go all out quite the same as Americans. Having said that there are a few houses in my town that have gone all out with the outdoor decorations. It's mental. All I can think is how much their electricity will cost! Haha.

      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Awww your dog is adorable!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) She is a wee cutie.

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .