The Christmas Series | Fighting the Urge to Splurge

November 08, 2013

 photo Titlepicture.jpg
 
I honestly cannot believe that we are now into November. Seriously, where has this year gone and for heaven's sake could life slow down just a bit?! The only good thing is that now with Halloween out the way I feel completely justified in talking about Christmas. Whilst Christmas songs and decorations are still not appropriate in my book, I no longer feel the need to keep my box of Christmas presents secret from the world.

It will probably come as no surprise to you that Christmas is one of my favourite times of the year. I really hope that this won't matter to you at all but I am not religious in any shape, manner or form. I never have been. Despite what people in the past have though, it doesn't stop me celebrating one of the greatest days of the year. To me, Christmas isn't about religion. It isn't about the presents (although they are an awesome perk) but about the time I get to spend with my family, the good food and the beautiful decorations that adorn shop windows and homes.

When I think of Christmas, my mind wanders to the time spent with my family. Family is really important to me and I love being able to spoil the ones I love most at this time of year. With an ever growing family, however, Christmas is beginning to get more and more costly. Honestly, this year we have twenty-three family members to buy for. It's so easy to want to buy the biggest and best things for your loved ones but with the economic climate (and being unemployed), sometimes you really to have to fight the urge to splurge!

Here are my top tips on how to not spend all your money at Christmas.

1. Set a budget
First of all, work out what you can afford to spend and allocate an appropriate amount to each person. You might be able to spend £50 on your nearest and dearest but can only spend £20 on your friend. Maybe you can afford less, maybe more. This is okay. There are no rules on how much you have to spend.

2. Don't compete
Sure, your sister and brother-in-law splashed out last year and bought your mum a gorgeous designer bag while all you could manage was a top from Primark and a box of chocolates, so what? I was always raised to believe it's the thought that counts and not how much you spend. Focus on picking out something that you know they will like and if it's only a couple of quid: bargain!

3. Secret Santa
Do you have a tonne of friends and you can't afford to buy them all a present? Set up a Secret Santa with a sensible budget that you can all afford. This way no one feels cheap or gets forgotten about. I used to this at high school when I had about fifteen girls in my friendship group. It saved us so much money and every year I threw the party a week before Christmas at my house which was awesome.

4. Save up throughout the year
I know it's a bit late to suggest this now but I'm hopeful of putting this into practice in 2014. Once the bills are paid and you have paid for all your other extra necessities, put away a little bit of money in a jar or an envelope each month. Even if you only put £20 in a month by next Christmas you could have £240 already waiting to be spent purely on Christmas!

5. Look for sales
Wherever possible I like to buy in the sales. In fact, I often feel quite annoyed if I have to pay full price for something. I'm getting pretty good at only ever buying in the sale from H&M in particular. I already have a dress for one of my sisters that I bought for £7 instead of £15.

6. Buy online
If you can be organised and prepared, as I like to be,buying Christmas gifts online can be an absolute life saver. Often things are cheaper online than they are on the high street but you need to remember to factor in shipping costs and delivery dates. I regularly use Amazon for DVDs as I find that nine times out of ten they are cheaper than other shops. I would suggest keeping a running total of what you are spending though so you don't go over your budget.

7. Shop around
This kind of relates to the last two points. Just because you see something in a shop doesn't mean that you can't buy it somewhere else for cheaper. Shop around. Do some research and find where you can get that item the cheapest. There is no point spending extra money because you are too lazy to put a little effort into doing some research.

What tips do you have on ways to fight the urge to splurge?

Until next time!


Please follow me on:
bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

10 comments :

  1. Me and the boy have a set $100 budget, we adjusted it down after having a car issue. I buy a lot of my presents for him online to be honest, easier to compare stores and because it's normally collector stuff I can get it second hand online.

    Trying to avoid shops helps me save my pennies too, I get too tempted otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buying online can be a complete lifesaver although I do hate waiting for things to arrive in the post! I get so impatient.

      Debi x

      Delete
  2. I love this post, it's so simple but ever year I get that panicky feeling before Christmas that I've not done enough or got enough! I'm trying to be super organised and keep calm this Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get panicky too. I'm always worried that I haven't got enough or what I have bought isn't very good. This year I'm working really hard on not comparing my gifts with other people's. it is the thought that counts after all!

      Debi x

      Delete
  3. I ove doing secret santas! They are a really fun way to make sure everyone gets a gift they are happy with, and they are a great excuse to get old friends together :)

    Madeline | Ring-a-Round a Rosey | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I used to love holding the Secret Santa party at my house every year. It was amazing to get everyone together and have a nice time :)

      Debi x

      Delete
  4. great tips you have here and i think it's great to start early and be organised. luckily i got my Chrismtas cards a few weeks ago; i know it was super early but now at least i don't have to dread going into a card shop crammed full of smelly people who are in the way! I've also done most of my christmas shopping, which is surprised because i usually leave it all until the last minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I know what you mean. I want to get all my shopping done as soon as possible so I don't have to contend with overcrowded shops filled with rude people! I normally manage to get the bulk of my shopping done in plenty of time but it's all the little bits and pieces that have me running about in the last week!

      Debi x

      Delete
  5. 'Don't compete' is a brilliant point. A thoughtful gift is just as good as something expensive, or more so. Nice post.
    Best wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. There really is no point competing, everyone has different amounts of expendable cash.

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .