Recipe | Making Biscuits

January 21, 2014

It isn't often that you find me in the kitchen baking. In my family, baking is more of my sister's "thing" as she makes lots of low sugar goodies that my diabetic dad can eat. Due to this, I've never really given much thought to trying to bake something until New Year rolled around when I decided that I wanted to give making biscuits a shot. I scoured my recipe book until I found something relatively low in sugar and easy to make for such a newbie. 

 photo DSC02712.jpg

Ingredients
175g (6oz) of plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1/4tsp ground nutmeg
115g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
50g (1 3/4 oz) caster sugar

Optional
115g (4oz) of icing sugar
1tbsp cold water
Icing pens

To make spiced biscuits add:
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 mixed ground spice

Step One
Preheat the oven at 180C/350F/ Gas Mark 4. Sift the flour and nutmeg (cinnamon and ground spice too if making spiced biscuits!) into a large bowl.

Step Two
Now it's time to get messy. Add the butter and rub it into the mixture with your fingers until it looks like breadcrumbs.

 photo DSC02714.jpg

Step Three
Add the sugar and knead until the mixture forms a stiff dough.

 photo DSC02646.jpg

Step Four
Lightly cover your work surface with flour and with a rolling pin roll the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter in the shape of your choice that has been dipped in flour, cut out as many biscuits as you can. Re-roll any excess and  repeat until all the dough is used.

 photo DSC02647.jpg

Step Five
Place on large non-stick baking sheets and bake in the preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until pale golden. Leave to cool completely.

The biscuits are ready to eat at this point but I decided to decorate mine with some glacé icing and icing pens bought from Asda to give them a more festive look. I did leave some without icing so that my dad could eat them though! Feel free to skip this next step if you so desire.

Step Six
Sift 115g/4oz of icing sugar into a bowl and gradually add about one tablespoon of cold water. Beat together until the icing coats the back of a spoon and looks like a paste. Use to decorate biscuits and allow to dry. I then used the icing pens to outline my stars in red and green, and added a few spots.

 photo Greenandred.jpg
The biscuits with green icing were plain, the red ones were spiced.

 photo DSC02642.jpg

There you have it; my simple (and spiced) biscuits. Perfect for eating with a tasty hot chocolate, cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon.


Please follow me on:
bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. Ah those look tasty - you can never go wrong with a biccie and a good cuppa in my view. Saying that and looking at your last picture I really do need to get some cream for my hot chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with cream in your hot chocolates. It's just so tasty.

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .