Monday Musings #6

February 10, 2014

 photo IMG_9345-1.jpg


Hello Monday. 

Not too much to report on this weekend to be honest. The other half was recovering from a pretty awful cold so I wanted him to rest as much as possible. This could only lead to spending too much time playing games, watching a shocking amount of trashy television and eating copious amounts of food that probably isn't the healthiest in the world. Sunday saw us have a little lie in as we didn't go to badminton as we were out at the rugby in the afternoon and didn't want to miss out on that. An afternoon of shouting encouragement at your favourite team is a well spent afternoon in my book.

As a quick aside, I'm quite enjoying these little segments before I get round to answering the important questions of the week. It's nice to have a little recap every week about how I spent my weekend whether it is jam-packed with events or so quiet that it's almost boring. I really feel like it at least gives me the impression that I'm living life more fully which is always a little bonus. Anyway, stop your rambling, Debi, and get going with this week's Monday Musings... 

When was the last time you listened to the sound of your own breathing? 
What a strange question. I don't remember the precise last time but it was probably when I was trying to control a panic attack. Focusing on my breathing and taking deep breaths normally helps me to not have a full blown panic attack. 
On a little side note, my mum used to work the night shift a lot when I was younger and so she would take naps in the afternoon and, not being of school age, sometimes I would join her. While I pretended to nap beside her I would match my breathing to the rhythm of hers, breathing in and out in time with her. That's a little weird, isn't it?

What’s something you know you do differently than most people? 
I'm sure there are a thousand little quirks and things that I do differently from just about everybody but I'm genuinely struggling to think of something.

What does ‘The American Dream’ mean to you? 
Being from Scotland, not a whole lot. The "American Dream" always makes me think of Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller, where the main character never really succeeds in living the American Dream, despite spending his whole life trying to. Based on that, I suppose I actually associate "The American Dream" with disappointment. Ironic, huh?

Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton? 
Well, currently I feel like a worried simpleton! I know I should say joyful simpleton but I'm such a natural worrier that I think I'd rather be the worried genius. At least then I could make something amazing of myself. Plus I like to challenge myself mentally and would be kind of sad if I wasn't trying to learn more, like a genius would always keep doing.

If you could instil one piece of advice in a newborn baby’s mind, what advice would you give? 
Be who you want to be, not what you think somebody else expects of you.

What is the most desirable trait another person can possess? 
It is a bit of a cliché but I have to say a good sense of humour. Being surrounded by people who have the ability to make me laugh and will laugh with me in my opinion is so important. Of course, I also find other traits such as loyalty and intelligence essential. 

What are you most grateful for?
My family. I am always grateful to have such an amazing immediate family who are always there for me no matter what. I am so lucky to have five sisters and my other half who are also my best friends and not a day goes by that I am not thankful for having them in my life. Of course, having parents who have stuck by me through thick and thin, and continue to support me even now is awesome to.  The same can be said about the other half's family too! Lucky, lucky girl.

How would you answer this week's questions?




bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest


** Inspiration for this series came from Underland to Wonderland's Weekly Wonderings which also asks the same 365 questions found on this post on  Mark and Angel Hack Life.


Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. Death of a Salesman takes me right back to school! John Steinbeck's work remains of the American Dream a lot too - I know lots of his work (many of which I haven't got around to reading) focus on people moving, trying their luck to make their fortune. Living in Michigan it certainly makes me think of Henry Ford when you read about how he started out with a really small garage (that's how at a museum which i've visited) and to what the Ford company is now, it's certainly something. I guess to many Detroit was the American Dream with all the industry here (it was often called the Paris of the west) and sadly I guess the city also comes to show what happens when the American Dream messes up too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read any of John Steinbeck's work. I've always meant to but I just never have. Obviously not everyone's American Dream turns out like Death of a Salesman (thankfully), it is just what I always think of when I hear the phrase. I studied it in English at school when I was sixteen.

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .