Staying Positive & Getting Motivated

February 25, 2014

 photo stayingmotivated.jpg

We've all had those days where we feel down or stressed, when it seems like nothing is going your way and you have no energy or motivation to get up and do even the little things in life. It's okay to admit it. It's natural.

Since the start of the year, I've had more of those days than I'd care to admit. I've found it so hard to move from the couch and do something productive. There's been this weight of worry sitting on my chest, leaving me feeling just a bit terrified of just about everything. It's not even the big things either. I've found myself increasingly worked up about all the little things that I have going on and I'm seriously lacking any kind of get up and go attitude.

A few years ago I used to always be on the go. I don't mean that I was always out visiting friends or doing this, that and the next thing out in the big, bad world. What I was doing was continually looking for projects around the house to become immersed in. A room could do with a fresh coat of paint? I did it. The wardrobe needed a good tidy out? It was organised in a couple of hours. Paperwork was strewn all around the house? I had it sorted and filed away within the day. Now, I'm struggling to even have the drive to do the dishes most days. Where has the old Debi gone?

In a bid to get her back (and kind of get my life back on track) I'm taking steps to increasing my motivation to actually do things. Here are my top tips on how to get that motivation back and get you moving again.

1. Make a list
It can be quite daunting to write it all down when you have a hundred and one things to do but nothing beats the satisfaction of scoring off completed tasks. I'm quite a list maker and have been known to have umpteen on the go at any given time. Write one for housework, another for school/college/university/work. Write lists to prepare yourself for upcoming events. Do you need to remember to paint your nails before next week's party? Add that to the list. Don't be scared of all the things you want to get done instead split the rubbish tasks up with more enjoyable ones and work through them at your own pace.

2. Put some music on
Whenever I feel in a funk (as I like to call it) I put on some music that I know will make me smile. Whether it's that super cheesy musical, dreadful pop or loud rock music, put it on and just feel your mood being lifted. Personally, I like anything I can sing along to. Plus, if I can dance about like a weirdo whilst doing my chores and tasks it makes the time go faster and, nine times out of ten, puts a smile on my face.

3. Take stock of what you have
I find that the reason I get into these little ruts is because I focus too much on the uncertainty of the future or what I'm lacking in life compared to my peers. Taking a few moments to realise that what I do have is pretty freaking awesome helps to banish the blues which in turn makes me feel more positive about tackling anything on my to do lists.

4. Go for a walk/open the windows
Going for a walk is an amazing way to clear your head and the exercise is good for you. If, like me, going out by yourself can feel a little scary sometimes, go with a friend (or dog) and stick to places that you know well. If it is pouring with rain, open the windows and get some fresh air in. Somehow breathing in fresh air always makes me feel more relaxed.

5. Mix it up & reward yourself
So you hate having to tidy your room or spend an hour doing that huge stack of ironing you've been avoiding. Mix it up. Do the ironing while watching your favourite film or an old box set you haven't seen in a while. Break up tidying your room by allowing yourself ten minutes every hour for blog reading time or read a chapter of your book. Once all the different tasks are done for the day reward yourself with a long bubble bath or some chocolate and a movie. Knowing that there is something waiting for you once everything is sorted makes it just a little easier to get off the couch in the first place.

What are your top tips for staying positive and getting motivated? I'd love to hear your suggestions.




bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

6 comments :

  1. Opening the windows is always a good thing in my book, I always have the windows open and I admit to being grumpy in the last couple of weeks when I haven't been able to open them because it's been so cold they were iced shut. I've tried the list writing thing, but they always seem to be a thing I can never keep up, or go back to. I do like to set myself a weekly challenge - work or life related to get one thing or a couple of things done/achieved, i've noticed that's been helping me get things sorted and helped my head space in the process too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weekly challenge idea sounds good. Sometimes I sort of do that too, mainly with cleaning or tidying projects around the house. I am glad that the weather is starting to get a bit better here and I can finally open my windows without freezing the house and being cold for the rest of the day. Fresh air always makes me feel better.

      Debi x

      Delete
  2. To be honest, I myself have thrown myself into the land of laziness at times. I could have a day off from College and spend it by just eating crap food and watching tv shows. Absolute laziness. I found that with at least writing down these aims in a diary, they're completed more. I really enjoyed this post Debi. Lovely to see that you accept that you need change in your life. People who make out that they're active, but actually aren't really does irritate me at times. Yeah excuses, excuses, everyone has them, but they shouldn't make out that they're better than everyone else.

    Michaela xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you really do need a lay day to do absolutely nothing but when it turns into a lazy week I know I have a problem and need to sort myself out. I completely blame winter for it though. I'm so much more active in the summer time. Glad you enjoyed the post, Michaela :)

      Debi x

      Delete
  3. very good tips :) I find that creating a to do list with just 3 things on can make it more manageable & seem less hard..then just add more on once I've done those 3 :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, especially if you have a lot to do. You don't want to be overwhelmed by all your different chores and tasks. Knowing me though I would forget to write down something that was really important. Haha.

      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .