Dear Debi

April 22, 2014

 photo DSCN0493.jpg

Last week I wrote a letter to myself to read on (or after) my thirtieth birthday. It was odd. Talking to myself as though I was another person did feel a little alien at first but by the end of my letter, I was reminding myself to be proud of who I am and, yes, I did tell future Debi that I love her. It is important to love yourself but it was still weird. Definitely weird.

I told thirty year old Debi all about the day I was having and reminded her of all the stress that wedding planning brings. To be fair, she probably won't thank me for that. I know that her stomach with churn at the thought of all the conflict but she'll learn to forgive me. I always do. Mostly, though, I talked about all the hopes and dreams that I have right now.

I realised just how much I want to accomplish in the next five years. I was so aware of just how much could change in that time. Will we have the three bedroom house with a garden that we are always talking about? Will there be the pitter-patter of tiny feet gracing the floors? What adventures will we have gone on? Which places will we have seen? Will I be working? Will I have finally learnt to drive?

 photo DSCN0491.jpg

I found myself wanting to know all the answers to the million questions that were swimming around in my head, bumping into each other, getting muddled and confused. Good thoughts, worries, hopes all fluttering about, fighting to make their way onto the page next. 

A lot can happen in five years; good and bad. For example, in just the last five years I have:
  • got engaged
  • had a job and been made redundant
  • moved out into a rented flat only for the lease to be terminated eight months early through no fault of our own
  • bought a flat which we love
  • seen my sister get married
  • had two nephews born
  • adopted Roxie
...and that is only a few of the millions of crazy things that we have been through the last half decade! Life is always a mixture of ups and downs. It would not be as much fun if it was monotonous.

What will happen between now and then? I can't be sure. After all, life has been pretty good at throwing obstacles in our way thus far. All I can tell you is I am going to work hard to achieve my dreams. I'm going to try and focus on the here and now, and enjoy the moment. I'll attempt to be proud of all my little, everyday achievements and, yes, I will try to love myself.


Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

10 comments :

  1. Aw this is such a lovely idea Debi - The letter I would have written to myself when 25 would have been an interesting one and I certainly wouldn't have believed that I would have been proposed too for my 30th Birthday, especially since I hadn't met THE ONE yet lol Its great to look back sometimes but even better to be grateful for what you have right now and hope for the future. I'm sure 30 year old you will love having a wee trip down memory lane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly will be interesting to read it in five years time and see what future Debi makes of me. Haha. So much can happen in five years!

      Debi x

      Delete
  2. That's a such a good idea, especially when I too think back about the last five years - I hadn't even met Joe then so the picture of moving countries, being married and on the verge of buying a house would have shocked me beyond belief. In another 5 years i'll be 32, and I have no idea what might have happened by then or really what I'd want to have happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy just how much can change in five years. I have no idea really what will happen in the next five years but it should be interesting to read this little letter and remember where I am now.

      Debi x

      Delete
  3. I love this. It's true, when you sit down and think about it, so much happens and we don't even realise and in such a short space of time.
    The last 5 years have been a roller coaster but I'm so grateful for them. I wish I could tell 5 years ago me that it will be worth it :)

    I can't wait to hear the next five years of your life, if you're still around on the interwebs that is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I don't think that five years ago me would have believed that I would have done what I have. It hasn't been easy but I'm proud that I've weathered through it. Hopefully I'll still be floating about online in five years time. It seems crazy to me that there is even a chance I won't be!

      Debi x

      Delete
  4. This is such a cute idea! I'm in love with this concept, I might write myself a letter to me in the future, thanks for the idea! So much can happen in a couple of years, and it's easy to forget how far we've come or how much we've grown and changed, writing a letter to yourself for the future could be a great way to remember those things.

    x Hayley-Eszti | www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It'll definitely be interesting to look back on. I wonder what my past self would have written five years ago. I don't think I would have ever imagined that I'd be where I am now.

      Debi x

      Delete
  5. Love blog posts like these- it's always really interesting to see what people would have said to themselves. It's also nice to read when it's about things that have went well!
    Lauren | OhHay Blogs!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It should definitely make an interesting read in five years time!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .