Luck.

April 24, 2014

 photo luck.jpg

 If I'm honest, I think I'm kind of rotten at giving relationship advice. People think that because I'm about to be married in the summer and have an almost nine year relationship with the other half that I must know what I'm talking about when it comes to the nitty gritty of the relationship world.

News flash: I don't.

The truth is I am hopeless at relationship advice. I just got really, really lucky with the other half.

We met when we were fifteen and even now I think that some people would write our relationship off as being a silly, first love infatuation. I don't know the amount of times I have heard the words "but you're so young!" As cheesy as it sounds, age really doesn't matter. When you know, you know and I just do.

He was the second boy I ever kissed although I don't like to really count the one other kiss as he turned out to be a right ass. He was and still is my first real relationship with real grown-up feelings. He was the first person I ever said "I love you" to out with my family. To put it simply, we've shared a million and one firsts together and I can only begin to imagine the number of firsts we have still to share.

What makes him great is he loves me for me, faults and all. He's never pushed me to be someone I'm not, never pressured me into anything I didn't want to do. He has the patience of a saint and understands that sometimes I can be a bit all over the place with anxiety and feeling low. He thinks I'm funny (which seriously I still get shocked about) and says I'm pretty even if I feel like crap. He works hard to take care of us and never fails to make me smile when it's the last thing I want to do.

How do we make what we have together work?

Just that. We work together. A good relationship should be a partnership; two people, side by side, working towards the same goal. We don't fight often and I know that in recent years we've both had to make a conscious effort to be more outspoken about our feelings - even when they are completely different. Communication about the little things in your day as well as issues is so important too.

But really, when it all comes down to it, I'm just lucky. I'm lucky that I met him aged fifteen through his ex-girlriend and that I could spin some story about needing help to learn the guitar to talk to him. For the record, he never taught me. Nine years later I still can't play! I'm lucky that I didn't give up on him when it looked like I was his second choice. I was lucky he realised he wanted me when he did. I am lucky that I've fallen in love with the best friend I could have ever imagined.

Honestly. It's just luck.


bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. I know! I know! I'm so behind with your blog, but I love this post and I want to tell you!!
    I completely agree, it's teamwork and for me, Kris is the only person I want on my team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) It's really nice when you find someone to be on your two-person team.
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .