Less Tweeting, More Living

May 15, 2014

 photo DSCN0538.jpg

Nowadays everywhere you look technology surrounds us. From toddlers being left in front of the television for a few hours each day to teenagers on laptops watching youtube videos or chatting on social media for hours on end, to fully fledged adults keeping up to date on all the world's happenings on their smart phones, technology is everywhere. It certainly feels like there is no one in our society that isn't using technology where we once would have had to communicate or use other means.

Just trying to work out the directions to get from A to B means a few taps in your satnav or on your phone. Remember the good old days where you'd have to actually pull out a map (a book with lots of lines where roads go) and work out how to get to your destination yourself, step by step? No, you're probably too young for that. Even in supermarkets nowadays there is more and more self-service check-outs. Heaven forbid, we might have to make polite conversation with somebody else. No. We'd much rather do it ourselves secretly cursing the voice that tells us that "there's an unexpected item in the bagging area" that means we might have to suffer through some actual human interaction.

Kids don't seem to go outside to play any more as they are often glued to whatever new gadget they have even though the sun is shining outside. I know that for some (myself included) the streets just don't feel as safe as they used to for young kids but I do think it is so important to encourage creativity and imagination by getting your children to play outdoors. Taking them to the park for half an hour or playing in the back garden surely would be better than them watching that Disney DVD for the thirtieth time this year.

Don't get me wrong I can see the irony in my telling you how technology has limited the amount of time we spend actually communicating person to person on my blog... on the Internet... through a screen. Even I'm guilty of relying on technology or just using it too much. It's something I want to change about myself.

Too often I find the other half and I in the same room, half holding a conversation whilst furiously tapping away on our individual devices. I've even caught us watching television and doing umpteen things on the Internet all at once. My charming other half will even watch YouTube videos and vines on his phone while the television is on! As soon as adverts appear we snatch up our devices to check what we've missed in the last twenty minutes which honestly is never very much. Advert breaks used to be for grabbing a cuppa and a biscuit but more and more it has become an excuse to read twitter yet again.

Well it's time for it to change. I want to go back to the time where I didn't always have the Internet at my fingertips, where taking a few minutes each day to switch off all the technology and holding an actual conversation with actual eye contact wasn't a novelty. I want to make changes where instead of spending very spare moment online I'll read or go outside for a walk and actually engage with people. So here are some self-imposed rules that I'm going to try and enforce over the next month to see if they are any differences.
 photo DSCN0537.jpg

Spend an hour at least three times a week without any technology
This one really applies to when the other half is at home as so often either one of us, or both, will be glued to a computer screen that we don't spend some proper, quality time chatting. Okay, it might be a but of an exaggeration to imply that we are always using technology but it is definitely important to me to dedicate an hour here or there spent with the other half without distractions. I think I'll try to encourage us both to put the gadgets away and play a board game or have a thorough chat about the wedding or go for a really long walk with Roxie.

Tweet a little less
I don't mean I'll be coming off twitter or even setting a limit for how many tweets I have daily. I have far too many online-only friends to cut myself off from twitter entirely. I just mean I'll try to stop tweeting utter nonsense for the sake of it. Plus, I want to check it a little less frequently too.

Read for thirty minutes every day
Too often I become distracted by new blog posts, YouTube, addictive iPad games or nonsense on the television that I put my books aside and let them gather dust. It is a bit stupid of me to do so especially when I love reading. Therefore, instead of picking up my iPad for a mid-afternoon scroll through Pinterest or bloglovin' I'll pick up my book and read for a little while.

Don't spend sunny days indoors
Sunny days in Scotland are such a rare commodity that they should be seized with both hands and lived to the fullest. Of course, living in a flat with no garden means that it isn't always easy to get out to make the most of the good weather. Having said that, my sister moving to a house (with garden - yippee!) a mere twenty minute walk from me will give me the reason to ditch the technology and get out the house.

I'll probably write an update on how successful (or not!) I manage to be with my little self-imposed rules in a month's time. Let's hope that I manage to stick to them.


bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

12 comments :

  1. Good luck with it, sometimes I feel like a bit of a digital detox but know it would have to be baby steps like you're doing, rather than anything drastic, I certainly couldn't go cold turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see the point in going cold turkey. I need technology to keep up with some friends as well as my blog so it'd be like punishing myself for no reason by taking that away from me. I just want to cut down and notice the world around me a little more :)
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Having a weeks holiday last year without a TV or phone signal for the most part was a big changer for me - totally made me see that there's more to life than social media. It's so sad when me and Joe are out one our date nights and there's other couples out doing the same but one is constantly playing on their phone. I do need to wean myself off twitter a little more, but with working from home it's kind of my company too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that. The other half and I don't really have date nights out as much anymore but if we do the focus is on each other not our phones. Being home alone all day is probably why I use twitter so much but there's no excuse for me to use it as much when the other half is home! That's where I really want to cut down.
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. I love a map. Kris and I will print on off (from google, haha) before we go for a day trip and mark places on it we want to see and use it when we go out.
    I hate the self service checkout, i refuse, I want to chat to the checkout person instead.

    I actually quite like the technology. I used to hate it but Kris is a big technology fan and has used computers all his life. Since being with him I guess it's grown on me. I like being social online b/c in real life I'm not like that. I feel like a sim person and I need my social meter topping up I just pop online haha

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Good old map - even if they are printed off google it counts :) Don't get me wrong i love technology I just think I need to cut back a little sometimes. I certainly couldn't live without all our gadgets, especially the ipad. How else am I meant to read blogs when I want?! Haha.
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with everything you have said. I'm actually planning on doing this too for the summer! I have been on my laptop everyday for the past few months because I had to do assignments. They would have been done a lot quicker of course if I didn't spend half the time on facebook or bloglovin' (oh the irony of me writing this when I should be doing an assignment haha) but once I'm finished I'm going to seriously cut down my hours online. I think I'm only going to use my laptop for like an hour a day to catch up on blogging stuff! and then twitter and facebook SPARINGLY on my phone! we can do this together! haha. Sinead - sineaddreamingagain.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you! I can imagine that with uni there's times when you feel like you're never off the laptop what with all the assignments! When I was in college I would switch my wifi off at home if I could do assignments without the Internet so I wasn't distracted by things like Facebook and such. It certainly helped get them done quicker!
      Debi x

      Delete
  5. Such a good post and well done on deciding to make some proper changes. It's so easy to half hold a conversation and half check facebook/twitter/blog without even realising. I have an awful habit of tapping on facebook on my phone when I've literally gone on it 30 seconds ago and I know there is not going to be anything new! Good luck with the changes you are planning to make and let us know how it goes! P.S I love dominion!
    www.goodgirlgonebrum.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is so easy to be lured back to Facebook or twitter to see what might have changed in the last ten minutes but it's never worth it really. I'm definitely looking forward to spending some more time reading or playing board games instead! (Dominion is fab, isn't it?)
      Debi x

      Delete
  6. Excellent post. Our router just died and new one is 3-5 days away so my connection is limited to my phones patchy 3G. Always mean to switch off and see the world but find it so easy to lose hours accomplishing very little on the internet. I will be there with you over the next month in trying to cut down. Good luck, and enjoy the sun! ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's too easy just to whittle away the hours doing nothing of importance on the Internet. I really hope I end up becoming more aware of the fun that can happen when I'm not glued to some gadget so this next month is really worth it :)
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .