Thursday's Thought of the Day

May 08, 2014

Yes, the quote fiend is back. I won't be making this a regular feature as I had before but I felt in the mood to do a thought of the day post. My blog, my choice, my rules.

 photo thursdaytotd.jpg It is probably quite fair to say that we all have our off-days. Days where we don't feel good about the way we look or don't appreciate the achievements we have accomplished. Days where our situations look a bit bleak and the appeal of crawling back under the duvet is a bit too hard to resist.

It's easy to look at the snippets of someone else's life and think that they have it all, that their life is perfect, how you wish you were more like them. The truth is a lot of people only show the rest of the world what they think that the world wants to see.  We don't get to see inside their heads and hear all their worries and insecurities. Even the most "perfect" people have them.

Unfortunately, for some reason we have been raised to think that positivity and happiness are all that anyone should really know about. No one wants to hear the negative things about life which is ridiculous! I've even seen this on blog chats where people insist personal blogs should remain positive.

News flash: life isn't always positive.

There are days that suck. There are days that I look in the mirror and think, "God, my skin is awful", "I hate my teeth and smile", "Why don't I have a flat stomach?" At other times all my motivation will disappear and I'll feel like there is a big black cloud hanging over me. My anxiety will spike and it will become near impossible to do anything. I'll fight back tears and want to hide away from the world. I'll feel stupid about it, have low self-esteem and my confidence will be non-existent for a while.

That's okay.

You don't have to be "perfect" to love yourself.

Negative aspects of life and flaws in yourself are to be expected. It's ridiculous to think that everything will come up rosey every single time, that when you look in the mirror your first thought will be "Damn guuuurl, you lookin' fiiiiine!" There has to be a balance.

Loving yourself isn't about being happy and perfect all the time. It isn't about living up to the expectations of others and burying anything negative. It's about accepting you for exactly who you are; warts and all. It's about saying, "Yes, I do have flaws but that's what makes me who I am and I am worth something."

Because you are. In fact, you're worth a hell of a lot more than you think.


bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

6 comments :

  1. I certainly could love with giving myself more credit and generally being kinder to myself. I never understand the whole having to keep blogs positive that you always hear on blog chats - people go on about how your blog should reflect our life, but at the turn of the hand they cull bits out of it so their life really does look like it's out of a magazine. Having that mix of positive and negative, featuring the bad alongside the good on a blog keeps me reading, makes a blogger seem so much more down to earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I can relate much better to someone who shares the good, bad and indifferent bits of their lives. It helps to build better connections I think and that makes me far more likely to return to it.
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. This is all so true. Some people do appear to have a wonderful life and then we feel bad and like something is wrong when we have a bad day. Bad days and negative feelings are normal and definitely shouldn't be hidden. I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing exactly how you feel on your blog sometimes, the way I see it, it helps other people by letting them know they're not alone and your life isn't perfect either! sineaddreamingagain.blogspot.ie <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. There's no point sugar coating your life. Everybody has different issues that aren't always seen by the outside world. We just need to be happier with our lot and not compare ourselves to others more often.
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. "You don't have to be "perfect" to love yourself." - Not enough people realise this and it's such a shame.
    It's true, the chats are getting out of hand with their rules and expectations of what we have to write about on our blogs but I love to hear about people and their lives, warts and all.

    We should wear our warts loud and proud and screw the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely. Why pretend to be something that we are not when we are so awesome in the first place? ;)
    Debi x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .