Wedding Edition | Music

May 01, 2014

 photo DSCN0520.jpg


Very rarely does a day pass where I don't listen to music or have a song stuck in my head, playing on a loop. I can't play an instrument for toffee, my rhythm is non-existent and my singing is mediocre at best but all the same music is one of my favourite things in the world. 

I love its ability to evoke a feeling from the first time that you heard a song, to transport you back to a time and place that you'd almost forgotten. I don't know how many times I've played some Blink 182, Greenday or Sum 41 and instantly felt like I was thirteen again, a little more carefree than I am now but awkward. The fact that a song can lift your spirits or get you motivated to do all those little annoying chores is no mean feat. If I find myself down in the dumps or stuck in a rut music is my go-to guy to get me going again.

Due to this, choosing music for our wedding (especially our ceremony) has proved to be an important task with hours of deliberation to pick the perfect songs. As we are not religious and are getting married in a hotel with a registrar we can't have any music that even makes any reference to anything religious. Not really a problem anyway as we want more modern music anyway but it did mean we had to read through the lyrics of each and every song to be on the safe side. Obviously we wanted songs that we like and that reflect us individually as well as a couple and I definitely didn't want it to appear like I had made all the choices and the other half had no say. Despite what some people seem to think we have tried our best to come to each and every decision together.

The other half is picking the music for whilst the guests are seated. As someone who enjoys playing video games he has decided to chose some music from Video Games Live which is an orchestra that plays music from lots of famous games including Uncharted 2, Super Mario, Pokemon and Final Fantasy. I thought that it would be nice for him to choose music that reflects him as well as might put him at ease whilst he is waiting for me to turn up. Plus, some of the music is epic sounding!

I chose the bridal entrance music as I am obviously the bride. I wanted something that sounded beautiful and elegant but that had lyrics that actually meant something to me. For ages I couldn't find something that suited until I stumbled across A Thousand Years by Christina Perri. Listening to the song, I could envisage walking down the aisle and (embarrassingly) it made me quite emotional.

We are still working out the music we want for when we sign the register and it all becomes official (I'm thinking potentially a Jason Mraz song) but choosing a song for the recessional was a no-brainer. We wanted something that would put a smile on everyone's face and hopefully help us breathe a sign of relief that the nerve-wracking part was over. Being a Stevie Wonder fan since I was a small child I knew I wanted Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours). Luckily the other half loved this idea!

As for our first dance, we've had it picked for years. It's a bit of a cheesy one but the lyrics are pretty good. It's no secret that I am a Bryan Adams fan. I was in love with him at about age six! Naturally, I've chosen a Bryan Adams song. I bet you can't guess what one it is though.

Go on, tell me your guesses for my first dance song...


bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest

This is the 2014 Blogger Challenge Topic Nine: Music
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. I got super excited reading this and then realised I'll be nowhere near this wedding!!! Not even with a long lens...
    Some beautiful choices Debs and it's very cool that the other half chose something so representative of him in there too. Re the Bryan Adams song, it's the duet he did with the Spice Girl right? Instant classic! And Stevie Wonder is a perfect choice.
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Believe it or not once I posted this I started having doubts about our first dance song so I might change it. I don't know what too though but I've got plenty of time to work something like that out!
    Debi x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .