Lessons From My Dad

June 13, 2014

 photo DSCN0646.jpg
Hello sunshine and blue skies

Although I am scarily like my mum when it comes to how I like things done my way, to my standard, a lot of who I am as a person comes from my dad. We have the same sense of humour, the same love for reading even down to the same genres and authors, the same brown eyes and the same love for sport.

It is undeniable that my dad has taught me about life and so with Father's Day just being around the corner I thought I'd share some lessons I've learnt from my dad.

1. You're only as old as you feel inside
My dad really has the heart of a twenty-five year old. He doesn't take life too seriously wherever possible and he certainly doesn't act his age. He never has and I know that he never will.

2. Being a stay at home parent is a full time job
My dad has been a house husband/stay at home dad for as long as I can remember but that doesn't mean that he didn't have a full-time job. Running a household with six children with a seventeen year age gap from youngest to oldest is no mean feat and something that you never get a break from.  

3. There is not "one way" to live your life
Whilst some people thrive with a proper career some will fare better with a part time job or by focusing on their family life. This is okay. Despite what we have drilled into us as children, we don't actually have to go to university, find a career, find a significant other, buy a house, get married, have kids. There is a no "one size fits all" approach to life.

4. You don't have to have all the money in the world to be happy
As a family, growing up we weren't exactly always flush for cash. We might not have had the trendiest clothes, the newest toys and the most lavish holidays but we certainly never went without. I wouldn't ever trade any of my memories of days spent playing in the garden or taking a drive somewhere or sitting in the kitchen chatting away for hours just to have a few holidays abroad. Money does not equal happiness.

5. When the going gets tough don't throw in the towel and give up
Life isn't always going to be easy. Sometimes you'll fall down and really want just to give up but if something is worth fighting for you make sure to give the best fight of your life. Don't just throw in the towel because times are tough otherwise you'll be running away your whole life.

6. Laugh often
My dad is the king of bad jokes and funny stories. Of course sometimes they receive an eye roll from me with just how bad they are but it reminds not to take life too seriously all the time. Laughing really is the best medicine and should be administered daily.

7. Take day trips as often as possible
Day trips in the car are some of the best things in the world. Go on an adventure somewhere new, wander around a museum and learn, drive somewhere unknown by only choosing  your direction once you get to a junction, pack a picnic and spend the day by a loch. Some of the best memories are made from something that seems a bit dull and the really great days don't have to cost the earth.

8. The family you build yourself is everything
We don't really have extended family and so the family my mum and dad built together is everything. I am incredibly close to my sisters and parents and that sort of comes from them being all I had. It taught me that when you love someone you've got to love hard. Your commitment always should lie with the family you build yourself.

I wouldn't be half the person I am today without my dad so for that I thank him.

Happy Father's Day (for Sunday), Dad. 



bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. These are lovely! I really enjoy your family orientated posts, something I don't have but I like to read about from others perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm afraid that a lot of my posts end up being quite family orientated and I know that that isn't everyone's thing all the time. So it's nice to hear that at least someone enjoys them ;)
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .