More Living

June 19, 2014

 photo DSCN0615.jpg

It's been about a month since I wrote Less Tweeting, More Living in which I decided to cut back on my use of technology. I felt that it had gotten to the stage where I was always furiously tapping away on my iPad with umpteen different tabs open in my browser and chatting away on twitter whilst watching television and half holding a conversation with the other half. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point. Not one of these things was getting the full attention that it deserved and, quite honestly, I needed the break.

I set myself a four fairly straightforward rules to help me cut down on my screen time. To be honest, they have sort of been a bit hit and miss but I do think that it is fair to say I have cut down on my use of technology, especially using umpteen things at once. Of course I still use twitter and despite my week's break I am still blogging away to my heart's content. The difference now is I am making time for other things too and I'm finally giving each thing the attention that it deserves.

 photo backgammon.jpg

There has been a lot going on this month with the wedding and life in general which made it easier to step away from the technology and ensure that I spent at least three hours a week doing something else.  Within the last month the other half and I have spent hours playing different board games and just spending quality time together. In fact, we taught ourselves how to play Backgammon which, for the record, is actually quite a lot of fun - even if I get incredibly unlucky on the dice rolls too often. Plus we also took a trip to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum which was nice to get out and about for a change! I'll have a few posts on that trip in the coming weeks but if you missed last week's one it was about Salvador Dali.

I'm also pleased to say that I haven't felt the same compulsion to check twitter every half hour and I haven't even had the urge to tweet quite as much. To be fair, I did have a week that was a bit of a washout and I didn't much feel like talking to anyone. Nevertheless, I think that this is still quite the achievement as I am undoubtedly a twitter addict.

That being said, I haven't managed to read nearly as much as I had intended. Thirty minutes a day, Debi? Who are you kidding? To be fair though, I don't think that this is entirely to do with my clear addiction to technology. This month was undeniably busy with wedding drama then wedding invitations and more planning so I didn't really have the time (or the mindset) to sit down and read every day. I also struggled to get out for a good long walk with Roxie and the other half as much as I would have liked to. There isn't much that I can do about the Scottish weather though, is there?

In all honesty, I do feel better for stepping away from technology a little more and not being so reliant on it. It sounds crazy but it has helped me clear my head a bit more, not to mention get a lot more stuff done around the house. Really though, it has all been about the better quality time I have spent with the other half and the experiences we've shared.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. I think it's finding that balance is the key, and not using the internet at the important times - like on date nights, being out with people. So many times we've been out for a meal and there's a couple next to us and they are constantly just poking their phones and not talking to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Getting a good balance is what really makes the difference. It's such a shame when you see couples clearly on a date but they are barely talking because they are so glued to their phones. Really makes you wonder why they bothered going out in the first place!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .