Kelvingrove | The Scottish Colourists

July 15, 2014

 photo KGSCFergusson.jpg
Montgeron, 1909, JD Fergusson

 photo KGSCHunter.jpg
Old Mill, Fifeshire, about 1920, Leslie Hunter


 photo KGSCpeploe.jpg
Roses, about 1920, Samuel Peploe

 photo KGSCPeploe2.jpg
Samuel Peploe (I think). I had been taking pictures of the information cards too but I forgot to with this one!

In first or second year (I think) at secondary school I briefly studied the Scottish Colourists in art and ever since I've had a fondness for their work. When I saw that Kelvingrove had an exhibit showcasing some of the Colourists work I just knew that I had to go have a wee nosey.

The Colourists were four painters from Scotland; Samuel Peploe, John Duncan Fergusson, Leslie Hunter and Francis Cadell, who combined the traditional styles of Scottish painting with the work of French Impressionists and Fauvists. Despite their shared influences of French artists such as Monet, Cezanne and Matisse, each of the Scottish Colourists developed their own individual style as you can see from above.

I should note that it seems I favour Peploe and Hunter's artwork more than Fergusson and Cadell as I had a lot more photographs of their paintings. This was a completely subconscious thing but now the more I think about it I'm not surprised. I feel like Hunter really embraces the French Impressionist influence, seen especially in his colour choice and brush strokes. As for Peploe I just really love the beautiful simplicity seen in these still lifes.

Had you ever heard of the Scottish Colourists? What art movements do you like?


bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

  1. Nope, I have never heard of the Scottish Colourists ;) Although it's a pretty cool name to have. I probably mentioned this in your last art-y post, but I really have no idea when it comes to art. I just like a picture/painting/sculpture when I see it but for the most part, I have no idea what is going on. I don't have the foggiest idea when you say French Impressionist Movement ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I loved art at school so I have at least a limited knowledge about the most well-known art movements. I would never say that I know all that much about art in general though. I just like to wander around galleries and take in all the paintings - and complain about the artists and pieces that I don't like!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .