Pink is for Girls

July 01, 2014

 photo 100_1955.jpg

Pink is for girls, right?

I identify myself as a feminist.

Despite what the media and some people believe this isn't a bad thing. I just genuinely believe that people should be judged on their abilities and who they are as a person and not what is, or isn't, situated between their legs. I want all people to have the same sort of opportunities in life without being prejudiced against purely because of their gender.

I'm not interested in a matriarchy. I don't think that women need to "put men in their place." I don't believe that women are superior to men. I do, however, think that we should be treated equally.

One of the things that annoys me most about the current state of our society is the gender roles that we still continue to play into. Walk into a clothes shop and you'll see the little girls section covered in pink and purple dresses, tops, shoes while the boys is littered with blues and greens. Even to this day children are taught that blue is for boys and pink is for girls. A boy can't be seen to be wearing pink in case it makes him appear effeminate. It's absolute nonsense. It's a freaking colour.

Similarly, if you examine the toy section of any store you'll clearly be able to see which toys are "meant" for which gender. Bright pink dolls and kitchen sets for girls while the boys get trains, toolboxes and cars. From such a young age we are forcing gender roles upon our children and then we wonder twenty years down the line why gender roles are still so prevalent.

Don't even get me started with the whole "boys don't cry" nonsense.  When someone tells a male that they shouldn't cry, regardless of age, it makes my blood boil. Sadness is a human emotion that often results in tears, not a "feminine weakness".

I was unfortunately made redundant and have since struggled to find any real employment and due to this, I'm currently a home-maker. That's right, I stay at home all day and take care of the running of the house whilst the other half is out at his 9 to 5. I take on the stereotypical "woman's role" of being the caretaker; I cook and I clean.

Does this mean I am perpetuating the issue of gender roles? Is my issue with gender roles hypocritical? Am I a bad feminist?

I don't think so.

Firstly, being unemployed and a home-maker isn't exactly how I want to be living my life. I would honestly much rather be out making my own money rather than doing the ironing for the umpteenth time this month. I would love nothing more than to be running my own little business and raking in the cash but, alas, I've had no such luck!

Having said this, I still don't think that as a woman choosing to be a home-maker should be an anti-feminist thing to do.

You see, I believe that anyone should have the ability to chose how they live their life. This means that should a woman choose to be the home-maker and primary caregiver to her children that is a-okay with me. Likewise, should a man want to be the main breadwinner and it's what works in that family dynamic, props to them. By the same token, should a couple decide to swap these stereotypical roles they should not be judged or ridiculed.

I do believe that the problems with ingrained, detrimental gender roles begin in childhood.  For my future children though, well they can play with whatever the hell they want, wear whatever colours they want and dream of being whoever they want to be. After all, playing with cars and dolls in equal measure never did me any harm. Oh, and I still don't like the colour pink.


bloglovin'   |   twitter   |   pinterest
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

7 comments :

  1. I've had those battles in my head about being all for women's rights but then doing all of the cooking and the majority of the cleaning. But working at home, being home all day and having the spare time I think it's fine, I even make the husbands lunch but I'm not tied to the kitchen and I don't think there's anything wrong with being proud to look after your home, cooking, clean etc.

    It's like racism, no one is born a racist, cultural ideologies, assumptions and associations all come to define how we see ourselves and others. Like the need for pink - I hate the notion of the role of princesses in a girls life - which probably makes me sound super evil and mean - but in reality a person's values should be seen in qualities rather than processions and not needing to *have* to find Prince Charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prince charming is probably a douche any way ;)

      Delete
    2. I think it is all about purely having the same choices and options regardless of gender and not being prejudiced against for doing something that is stereotypically the other gender's role. I completely agree with the whole princess thing. I don't like the need to find Prince Charming. We'd managed on our own thanks and I don't need to be treated like a princess, just an equal.
      (Also, what Kerri said)
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. I just wrote a really long comment and then I thought of the prince charming remark and then poof my comment disappeared... Karma hates me today.

    In short. I agree. I think feminism should be purely about equality, women should be able to achieve everything a man can and vice versa. I don't think it's about sexualisation, I think that has been exaggerated and is completely missing the point of feminism. Being perfectly honest, feminism is something I respect and I fully agree on the cause, but I don't agree with how some feminists go about it and turn it into "I need feminism so men don't touch my butt in the club"... I think that's a bit pot calling the kettle black tbh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sexualisation of women and the general "rape culture" isn't necessarily to do with feminism but to do with sexism that is ingrained into our society and the fact that some people, men and women, don't understand another's right to be uncomfortable with inappropriate touching or sexist remarks etc. Does that make sense?
      Also, I don't agree with how all feminists go about "fighting for the cause" or what their final objective is. I think there are many different groups of feminists and I definitely don't fall into the stereotypical man-hating, lets have a matriarchy group.
      Debi x

      Delete
    2. Take two!

      I get what you are saying and I think in the deletion of my previous comment I go lost in my train of thought and wasn't meant to bang on about sexualisation. Although I think it's a completely separate topic.

      I just with feminism that there was more actually equality. But realistic equality. I don't want women to get jobs they can't do over a man that can. I want people to have an equal chance of being both accepted and rejected whether they are women or men.
      I think I'd be more on board with feminism (I'm on bored in term of equality) if we would fight gender roles instead of just giving women equality. You see so much about women getting to have the same jobs as the men, like CEOs and such. I work in science, that's all about the men and I want equal chance of the same opportunities but not if I'm not good enough or not qualified. But at the same time there's no one pointing out that there are not more men in the "women" jobs, like nursing.

      (Trying to re write comments is never good)

      Delete
    3. Yes! Getting equality for women shouldn't be at the expense of men. Jobs should go to the best qualified person regardless of gender. Neither gender should be overlooked simply because its a stereotypical role for the other sex. That isn't fair and it certainly isn't the equality I'm looking for.
      I studied television production in college which was pretty male dominated so I do understand what it's like to "not fit the norm". I wanted my work to be recognised for being good - not just because I am a girl and it would make me equal.
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .