LIFE: Moving Out

September 16, 2014

 photo lifemovingout.jpg


With the new university year just beginning, people all over the country are cutting the parenting strings and stepping out into the big, ol' world alone for the first time.  Moving out from your parents' home for the first time can be really exciting. You are finally going to be 100% in control of what you do. No parents to complain about how long you stayed in bed or how you didn't tidy your room or how late you stayed out the night before. 

I haven't lived "at home" for over three years now. After high school I went to a local college in Glasgow to study and so there was no need to move out of my parents' home. It must be said, I wasn't molly-coddled. I contributed a little financially to the household and did my fair share of housework and home improvements. However, living at home meant I didn't have to worry about finances or cooking meals every night. Whilst I was responsible and able to do what I wanted if it was reasonable, I wasn't truly independent until I moved out just after my 22nd birthday.

I moved into a freezing cold, tiny, one-bedroom flat with my then fiancé on what was meant to be a twelve month lease. It turned into four months after the owners ran out of money for their around-the-world trip just before Christmas. I couldn't have been more gutted but it all worked out for the best. We then bought our current large, cost two-bedroom flat, adopted Roxie and the rest, as they say, is history. 

Standing on our own two feet definitely has it's ups and downs. It's been difficult sometimes but I think it's fair to say that it's been worth it. I've learnt a lot from living with my husband...
  •  Money will disappear and you'll have no idea what it was spent on. No matter how carefully you budget your stomach will drop when you see your bank balance and realise that you have only a few pennies left to your name at least a couple of times.
  • There is always housework to be done. Just as you've worked through all the different tasks it's time to start all over again. Well, if you want a tidy, clean house at least!
  • The house only stays tidy when the husband is out at work or with friends. As soon as he comes home it's an explosion of mess - work boots left all over the place, glasses on the table, socks left on the couch...
  • Deciding what to make for lunch and dinner seven days a week is a far tough task than it seemed for your parents.
  • If you want a lazy day on the couch the only person that can make you feel guilty about it is yourself. 
  • I'm not an interior decorator in the slightest. I really struggle to put together a nice room. At least I got rid of the awful peach painted wallpaper in the living room and the mushroom coloured doors in the hall!
  • When something breaks like your cooker or toilet you'll attempt to fix it first and feel very smug when you realise just how much you saved by doing it yourselves.
  • I truly am a family girl and I love having lots of noise around me. It sucks when I don't see my family for more than a week.
  • I could never live alone. Before we got Roxie I struggled being in the house alone while the husband was at work. I was just so used to having someone home with me after living in such a busy house. Whilst doggy company helps I still crave social interaction from a human on a daily basis.
I'm pretty lucky that living with the husband has gone so smoothly. Three years on we have a great routine that keeps our household ticking over but we've also got the advantage of doing what we want, eating what we want whenever we want to.

How old were you when you moved out from your parents' house? What have you learnt by living independently?

Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

4 comments :

  1. Oh I know what you mean - money just vanishes and I never knew trying to work out what to stick between two slices of bread would be too hard. We had it lucky in our apartment we just moved out of - we had maintenance, so if something broke, they'd come and fix it. Mind you it took them a week to fix the bathroom sink so it was certainly lacking! It's certainly hard to get use to having all the responsibility for having a house now - all the cleaning, all the working parts, there's so much that you wouldn't necessarily think about and yes, housework is an endless task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, where does the money go? It confuses me so much sometimes. We pay a factors fee which is for the upkeep of the building but if anything breaks like the front door security system the factor arranges the work to be done and all the flats have to pay to get it fixed. Anything that happens inside our flat is entirely our responsibility. I'm just looking around my living room today and thinking about how I've got to get on with the next cycle of housework!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Oh my... every week is "what shall we eat for dinner and lunch this week". Back in the UK, my Aunt would good the same meals every single week, the only thing that changed was the day of the week they were on. I get way too bored with that so we like to mix it up a little. But it's a never ending task... that and writing the shopping list out. I hate that!

    I left my immediate family home at 15 and became somewhat independent then, then I left my aunt and uncles to go to uni at 18. I have lived away from home since then. I love it, I hate going back home and having to live with people again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have the same meals week in, week out. I need a little variety and it's always good to have a couple of weeks between having the same meal. It's really tough to come up with new meals all the time though!
      As much as I love my family, I don't think I could go back to living with them. I like having my own freedom far too much!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .