Dear Autumn

October 16, 2014

 photo dearautumn.jpg

 Dear Autumn,

You and I don't always see eye to eye. I love the summer sun and heat far too much to ever give myself fully to you. Each year as you roll around I try to embrace you but more often than not I just end up wishing you had stayed away just a bit longer.

It's true, of course, that you bring beautiful colours to the trees, turning the leaves from luscious greens to reds, yellows and oranges. I guess you could call it nature's last hurrah. The problem is I much prefer the rich greenery and blue skies than the perpetual greyness you leave in your wake. The crunch of the leaves under my winter boots that the colder weather you bring dictates I wear sounds lovely but I'd rather feel the warmth of the sun on my skin that shiver under countless layers.

Darker nights signal your arrival. You know how much I dislike having to turn my lights on before ten o'clock and don't even get me started on the real struggle that happens when I need to get out of bed when it's still dark outside. Still, I suppose it's nice to have an excuse to light some candles and drag the duvet through from the bedroom to the couch while I watch a movie, hot chocolate in hand.

I'll try to embrace all that you bring; the crisp, frosty mornings, cosy jumpers and wooly hats but I'll still be pining for my love affair with summer. Especially after my trip to Portugal that gave me a real taste for hot summer weather where it's completely normal to wander about on the beach in nothing but a bikini.

Don't take it personally, Autumn. It's not you, it's me.

Debi x
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

8 comments :

  1. Haha love this. Autumn does take a bit of getting use to, if only it was a little warmer. The weather is what confuses me most about the season, especially when you get those rich, deep blue skies and they make you believe it's a load warmer than it really is outside. Then you freeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't like how quickly the temperature drops during the transition from summer to autumn. I'd like it to stay a little warmer. I always think that the bright blue skies in autumn are so sneaky. They completely trick you into thinking that it's a gorgeous summer day outside and then you realise it's freezing!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. This is brilliant! I am one of those people that thrives in the Autumn or Winter - I love wearing lots of layers, knitwear and boots so Autumn, for me, is the sign of my favourite time of year coming up!

    Emma | frillsanddoodads.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have it's good points but I just love summer far too much! Haha. I am starting to look forward to Christmas and all the yummy Christmas food though. Is it too early to admit that?!
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. I actually love Autumn... maybe it's because I love in Florida... it's still warm (sometimes too hot) but we get some cool days and some nice breezy days that are perfect. And the skies are always blue... hmmm I hope you don't hate me hehe anyways, great post, I really enjoyed reading it :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! Haha. That sounds like a much better version of autumn than what we get! It's been horribly rainy and windy the past couple of days. Thank goodness I haven't really had to go out anywhere!
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. This is awesome! I'm a Spring girl myself :) Not too hot, not too cold. I hate getting myself out of bed in the dark, I hate doing things in the dark really, so Autumn and Winter are pretty rubbish in my opinion. Buuut, I do love the colours of Autumn and I love snow!

    What?! You only take your duvet to the sofa in the autumn?! Amateur ;) I'm a year round duvet user, I hate being without it haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quite like winter with its snow (if we get any!) and Christmas but I'll always wish it was warmer! Autumn sure is pretty though with all the leaves changing colour!
    I tend to only bring my duvet to the couch in the colder months or if I feel ill. In the summer my flat gets so hot even with all the windows open!
    Debi x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .