Keeping Cosy Through Winter: The Must Haves

November 21, 2014

 photo wintermusthaves.jpg

I can't be the only one who has noticed how cold it is getting now. The battle of getting out of bed in the morning had become a real struggle. It's just so tempting to remain in bed, wrapped in a duvet of warmth rather than have to brave the cold that lies beyond. Plus, waking up and seeing miserable grey clouds outside doesn't exactly make venturing outdoors appealing.

I'm really lucky that my flat stays pretty warm all year round. I may have to throw on a jumper when the colder weather sets in but I'm not having to crank the heating up for hours on end each and every day. Who has the money for that anyway?! Of course, I'd be lying if I told you that I didn't drag the duvet through to the couch once in a while but I don't know how much of that is a comfort thing rather than for warmth.

Keeping the cold at bay isn't too difficult with just a couple of simple items which have become my must haves for the past couple of winters.

Slipper Socks - I'm in need of some new slippers now that my current ones are falling apart. These have been a lifesaver. Plus, cute little penguins!
Pocket Hand Warmers - These things are amazing in the winter. You simply bend the small metal plate inside them and the saline solution crystallises inside whilst emitting a heat up to 55C. To reuse them you just place them in boiling water until the solution is clear and runny again. Simple!
Gloves - Fox gloves. Does it ever get any cuter than that?! I always need fingerless gloves otherwise I struggle to do anything with my hands. The fact that these turn into mittens is ideal though for when I'm watching rugby and don't need my hands for anything other than clapping. No more frozen fingers!
Hat - I bought this hat two (?) years ago from Primark and it's about the only hat I ever wear. It's so comfy and cosy so it's perfect for those winter nights that I'm out in the cold watching rugby.
Irish Cream Coffee - I sure love a hot drink in the winter and being a bit of a coffee addict this one is just perfect for warming the chill right out of my bones.
Hot Water Bottle  - Perfect for staying cosy as well as getting rid of aches and pains after spending all day Christmas shopping!
Cosy pyjamas - Where would we be without some fleecy, Primark pyjamas? I'm lucky that my parents buy me a new set every Christmas so I never have to worry about getting my own!

What are your winter must-haves for keeping cosy?
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

12 comments :

  1. We are the same, the flat is pretty warm so we only put the heater one when it actually gets cold! I'm a big fan of blankets and slipper socks, they do a good job at keeping me toasty :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we only put the heating on if we absolutely have to which isn't very often. I like to think that slipper socks are just like little duvets for your feet. So cosy!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Firstly I have to say your blog is so amazing lately, I really love it so well done!

    Everything you've mentioned are definitely winter essentials.
    Is it strange that I've never heard of pocket hand warmers? they sound amazing! What a great invention haha, I must look out for them in the shops.
    I too only wear the one beanie hat for the past 2 years, I just can't find any other one that fits as snuggly!
    There was really cute slipper socks in Lidl yesterday that I wanted but my feet are tiny and there was none in my size :( You should check there though (if theres a store near you) if you need some :) x

    Sinead | Dreaming Again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much Sinead. I've just been loving writing my blog lately and I think it shows :)
      The pocket warmers are life savers if you're out and about a lot. They definitely help to keep you feeling toasty when it's cold outside! I'll definitely have a look in Lidl for slipper socks. You can never have too many pairs, right?!
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. My house is usually warm-ish during the winter but my bedroom is always so cold! ugh! so I am always in warm fuzzy PJs and socks! and a warm fuzzy blanket too... pretty much anything fuzzy is essential to me during the winter haha

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, our bedroom is always colder than our living room which gets the sunshine through the windows all day. Whenever I go to bed at night I'm always surprised how chilly the bedroom is by comparison.
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. Not sure if my comment worked...

    I basically said: onesie = really warm and house = quite warm, live above shop, get heat from there.

    There's a comment summary because I hate it when blogger makes me write everything twice. It never sounds as good the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. There's nothing worse than when blogger loses your comment and you have to write it all again. The summary is good enou for me ;)
      Debi x

      Delete
  5. Urgh one of the things I miss about our apartment is the free heat, we could crank the thermostat right up and not worry. We actually have our heating set pretty low but it just comes on a lot because of how darn cold it is outside (already got down to -10C this week) that and having the original old windows and bad insulation in the walls don't help to keep the warm in or the cold out.

    I'm all about the blankets when i'm inside and can't get enough hats or scarves for going out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eek! -10c?! I'm not sure that we've hit 0C yet but then again so far it hasn't been too cold here. Just a bit chilly really. I love any excuse to snuggle up with a blanket once the winter comes :)
      Debi x

      Delete
  6. Fox gloves!! Super cute! I am wearing two scarves now the weather is soooo cold! Those handwarmer things are amazing too, they keep my hands warm all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my little fox gloves from last year although the most definitely do not go with any other item of clothing I own but oh well!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .