RECIPE: Chicken Fried Rice

November 25, 2014

I'll be honest, today's post wasn't meant to be a recipe post at all. In fact I had intended to make it a one day, twelve photos style post but I only managed about three photos before the day ran away with me and my camera got forgotten about. Fail. Yeah, sorry about that. Maybe I'll try again next weekend (or the weekend after that).

It's been such a long time since I last did a recipe post that when the husband said he was going to make some chicken fried rice I knew I had to jump at the chance to blog about it. Especially with the whole twelve photos thing falling through!

 photo chickenfriedrice1.jpg

Ingredients: Makes 2
  • 5ml sesame oil
  • 3 shallots
  • 200g five spice cooken chicken (you can use normal cooked chicken too)
  • 100g streaky bacon lardons
  • 20ml soy sauce
  • 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
  • 80g fresh peas (or petit pois)
  • 140g cooked long-grain rice
  • 1 large egg

Step One: Cook the rice as per instructions and prepare any the shallots and pepper. You can also add carrot, celery and sweetcorn to this recipe but the husband and I decided not to.

Step Two: Heat the oil in a pre-heated wok over a medium head. We use a massive frying pan!

 photo chickenfriedrice2.jpg

Step Three: Add the shallots and fry until soft. Add the chicken and bacon lardons with 15mls of soy sauce. Stir fry for about 5-6 minutes.

 photo chiceknfriedrice3.jpg

Step Four: Stir in the pepper and peas (and any other vegetables) and stir fry for a further 5 minutes. Add the cooked rice and stir thoroughly. Beat the eggs and add to the mixture. Stir until the eggs are beginning to set and then finally add the remaining soy sauce.

 photo chickenfriedrice4.jpg

Step Five: Serve and try not to inhale it in a matter of seconds!

I don't know why but taking photos of food is always so tricky! It never looks as yummy as it did in real life. Trust me, it tastes amazing though.

Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

8 comments :

  1. Food photography is hard work! I have a tiny kitchen so it's more of a skill not getting the washing up in the back ground!

    This sounds really good! I might have to give this a try. Even though Kris doesn't like egg, I think he's OK with it in fried rice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not much natural light that gets in my kitchen so I never get any good pictures. Oh well, you get the idea at least! Haha. It's a really yummy recipe. I could eat it all the time although I'd get annoyed at the mess the husband leaves the kitchen in!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Yum! I love fried rice but I haven't made it at home for ages, need to try. Totally agree with food photos, I am useless as our kitchen has barely any natural light (and it's so dark by the time I get home anyway!) but we will persevere :) x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so tasty! I love the home made fried rice that we, or should I say my husband, makes. Taking pictures in the winter is hard! You get about four hours of decent light for photos before it's too dark again!
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. Ha, I'm afraid if I do one of those 12 photos in 1 day challenges that I will also forget about it! The food looks yummy actually. But I know what you mean, whenever I try to photograph something it just looks "eh" compared to real life!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually really hard to take a picture every hour. I think I'll attempt it again this weekend but I don't hold out much hope! Haha.
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. Oh that looks and sounds so good. We've been all about egg fried rice lately so maybe I should throw in some chicken next time. Our old kitchen use to suck for photographs, we didn't have any windows. Now we have lots of windows and lots of ceiling lights which now means lots of shadows over the food. Can't win lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to battle with shadows too thanks to our lights. In the summer it's fine because we get enough light in our little window but in the winter it gets dark really fast and is useless for photos. I actually had to crop the ingredients picture because there was the shadow of my hand and camera in it! Haha.
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .