BLOGMAS: Mind Matters | Taking the Stress Out of Christmas

December 11, 2014

 photo ChristmasStress.jpg

So maybe with two weeks until Christmas I may have left this post a little late for those of you who are now hyperventilating at the thought of finishing your shopping, decorating and fitting in family time whilst still living your normal, everyday lives. Maybe just remember it for next year then.

Christmas is meant to be one of the best days of the year. You spend time with loved ones, give and receive presents, eat copious amounts of tasty food and have an excuse to laze about watching television or reading your new book. Sounds ideal, right? Why is it then that Christmas ends up being one of the most stressful times of the year?

I think that the answer is simple: the expectation of providing the perfect day.

Christmas is a bit like a wedding to me; you spend weeks (or months) planning every detail and trying to work out if you have absolutely everything sorted for it all to be over in the blink of an eye.  You worry about buying presents and then you worry about whether or not the recipient will like what they've been given. You worry that you haven't got enough food to feed the army of guests you have coming or you won't have everything cooked at the right time. You worry about seeing all the appropriate people at the time of year that is meant to be all about family.

Worry, worry, worry. Stress, stress, stress.

My solution for keeping the stress at a minimum? Plan everything from presents to who you're visiting and when in advance. The further in advance the better!

Don't think twice about buying that Christmas present for your sister in June. She'll love it regardless of what time of year you buy it. Make sure your family know who your having Christmas dinner with months in advance so you can avoid the tears or guilt trips about how you "never see them for Christmas any more" just before the big day. Buy your decorations or wrapping paper in the Boxing Day sales and pop them away in the cupboard for next year.

Spreading the workload as well as the expenditure of money throughout the year can only help to reduce stress. The moment you change the calendar to December the first you'll undoubtedly feel like there's a ticking time bomb counting down to the big day. The more prepared you are the more you'll be able to enjoy the Christmas season.

That's my two cents anyway.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

6 comments :

  1. You are seriously on a roll with the blogmas stuff!! Planning in advance is a definite win for reducing stress, but I never plan anything in advance... I usually plan to plan and then just talk about everything that needs planning without planning anything. Sigh.

    I'm slowly becoming more and more stressed at the thought of my family arrive for the holidays... yay, stress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly this week I've struggled with blogmas thanks to being ill and not being able to do the things that I wanted to. This whole blogging every day malarkey is difficult even when you plan and schedule it!
      I hope everything goes well with your family coming for Christmas and it doesn't get too stressful for you!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Planning in advance really helps. I started my Christmas shopping on Halloween and I was done with buying and wrapping them all before it was even December! :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not finished my Christmas shopping yet and to be honest I'm starting to freak out a little bit. I've got nothing for my husband and I don't know when I'll manage to! Of course it doesn't help that he's got my presents and is super calm about finishing everyone else's too!
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. Definitely agree, I am going to my grans and there will only be 3 of us so I'm sure it will be a very chilled day but I can't imagine what it is like if you had lots of people! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad that I don't have to be the one doing all the cooking for everybody. Our Christmases are always really busy with all of our family!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .