Book Review:: The Good Girl

January 22, 2015

This year I have set myself a target to read 30 books. To some that might not seem like a lot but reading waxes and wanes for me so it's enough of a challenge. Let's not forget that in the course of a year whilst doing my "before I'm 25" list I only managed to read twelve books. Poor show! Plus, this year I want to write some book reviews and do some "reading round up" type posts to mix it up a little. I hope you enjoy.

 photo Jan4.jpg
The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

*WARNING: THERE MAY BE SOME MINOR SPOILERS*
I'd heard some really great things about this book and so it had made its way onto my amazon wish list. A wish list that is entirely books essentially so that my in-laws have an idea what they can get me for birthdays/Christmases as they always ask and I always struggle to come up with ideas. Lo and behold, what should be neatly wrapped and nestled under my tree come Christmas morning than this little book? I was eager to begin reading it.

Mia Dennet is an inner-city art teacher and the headstrong daughter of a prominent and influential judge, James, and his socialite wife, Eve. After being stood up at a bar by her boyfriend, Mia is taken in by the charm of Colin Thatcher and decides to go home with him. A decision that could cost her her life.

Colin has been paid to abduct Mia and deliver her to his employers but things don't exactly go according to plan. Suddenly overcome with an unusual concern for what could happen to Mia at the hands of his employers, Colin hides Mia in a secluded cabin in Minnesota instead. Her mother, Eve, and detective, Gabe Hoffman, set out to find her and discover what happened, dredging up dark family secrets in the process.

With a few twists and turns, the most significant coming in the final pages, I found this book pretty hard to put down. Written in two time frames which coincided at the book's climax and from different characters perspectives (Eve, Gabe and Colin), this was a surprisingly easy book to follow that kept me guessing about the bigger picture. I was often eager to find out how we would get from point A to the point B. I liked the style of the book although I did feel like the flow slowed a little in the middle and I became a little impatient, desperate to discover what really happened. Still, I pushed through and I'm glad I did as the final twist was worth it. In fact, it had me lying awake in bed re-evaluating how I felt about the plot, and indeed the characters.

Whilst undeniably I enjoyed the book I did feel a little let down by the characters themselves and the relationships they had with each other. The relationship between the captive, Mia, and Colin, the kidnapper, was perhaps a little predictable. From the outset, I could sense that the author was going to build a romantic connection between the two (Stockholm Syndrome much?) but with neither of the characters being particularly likeable this felt perhaps a little contrived. For me, the characters also fell into the horribly cliched "misunderstood" category and at times I found them hard to relate to.

That being said, this was a good book that kept me interested enough to finish it within a week.  I definitely enjoyed it and I'm glad I found it under my Christmas tree.
Rating: 3.5/5

Would you like to see some more book reviews in the future?

Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

10 comments :

  1. I read that over the Christmas break and agree with your assessment - some of the plot was very predictable but the twist in the tail was a complete surprise. And despite the characters being stereotypes, the plot and tension were so good that towards the end it was totally unputdownable. Hope you'll be posting more book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twist really made it worth a read in my opinion. I'd say that the last third (or so) of the book was really gripping and it was pretty difficult to tear myself away from the pages. It was such a shame that the characters were so stereotypical and the plot was predictable otherwise I think I'd have absolutely loved it.
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Ah interesting! I love reading book reviews, I am aiming for 40 this year so always need recommendations on what to read next! I do like a good thriller x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck on hitting your target. I'm currently on my third book of the year so I think I'm doing okay and hopefully I'll hit my thirty book target. I just hope that I don't fall out of love with reading again any time soon!
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. I gave myself the same challenge. I am v.similar to you, in that my book reading waxes and wanes (depending entirely on the book!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that if I'm reading a book that I don't enjoy my whole enjoyment of reading in general is effected and I lose interest altogether. It's a shame because I really do love reading!
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a really good read (strange characterization aside!) That's some good story telling that keeps you hooked when the characters aren't all that strong too.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. With such flawed, stereotypical characters, I must admit I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the book but I guess I just had to figure out the whole story otherwise I'd never have been satisfied! Haha.
      Debi x

      Delete
  5. I actually haven't the foggiest how to comment on book reviews... I haven't read the book but I was looking at it whilst deciding what to spend my Audible credit on. I got Girl On The Train instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never know how to comment on them either - don't worry! I just really wanted to start writing some reviews! Haha. I've never heard of Girl on the Train. I must have a look and see if it's something I'd like to read!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .