Date Challenge: January | A Home Cooked Meal for Two

January 29, 2015

At the end of last year I thought it would be a nice idea to "plan" a date with the husband once a month. Simply put I wrote twelve little notes with an idea for a date and sealed them in envelopes, waiting to be opened on the first of each month. Whilst my date ideas are not by any stretch of the imagination extravagant or necessarily exciting, I decided it would be a good way to ensure we had some one on one time every month. Plus, they should make for some interesting blog posts over the next year...

 photo JanDate.jpg
January's Date 

When I wrote this note as our first date challenge I did not expect to spend the entire afternoon in the kitchen with my husband preparing our three course meal but that is exactly what we did. And do you know what? It was so much fun and totally worth it.

As we had to choose something we'd never made before it took us a while to decide exactly what our meal would be. After pouring over all of our recipe books and having a sneaky look online we finally decided on chicken and potato soup with bacon as our starter, meatballs in a tomato sauce for our main and chocolate chip cupcakes with the tastiest vanilla frosting as our dessert. I'll save the recipes for another time otherwise I'll be here all day with this post!

 photo JanCupcakeMix.jpg
Cupcake Mix 

 photo JanChickenandPotatoSoup.jpg
Chicken and Potato Soup with Bacon

I provided a healthy amount of paranoia and worry that the whole meal was going to be a failure during the whole preparation and cooking stages. The cupcakes weren't going to rise. The frosting was going to be plain and messy. The soup was going to be horrible or undercooked. The meatballs were bound to be under or over cooked and taste nasty. I'm a worrier. The husband assured me that it would all be fine and it was. In fact, it was better than fine it was all bloody tasty! My worry was for nothing.

Anyway, we started by making the cupcakes which were meant to be jumbo sized but ended up being fairly regular sized much to our dismay. While they cooked and cooled we prepared the soup which we had decided we'd make and then simply reheat later. This was meant to be for four people but the recipe made way more than for four!

 photo JanCupcakeswithVanillaFrosting.jpg
Just look at the vanilla frosting - so yummy!

Icing the cupcakes was by far the best bit even if we were truly awful at doing so and we sent sprinkles absolutely everywhere. Naturally I only took photos of the ones that looked like they hadn't been iced by a three year old.

The husband made the meatballs while I made the tomato sauce and then things got a bit crazy in the kitchen; pots bubbling away, setting the table, pouring the wine for me, apple juice for my husband. A list may or may not have been written so that we knew exactly what time each part of our meal had to be cooked at!

 photo JanRoxie.jpg
"Um...could I have some of that please?"

Roxie came into the kitchen just to check that we hadn't dropped anything on the floor and to let out a cute little whine to remind us that she needed dinner sometime soon too. Unfortunately for her she had to settle for her normal dog food while we dined on something far more tasty.

 photo Jan24.jpg
"Just take the picture, Debi. I want to try the soup already!" 

 photo JanSoup.jpg
Starter: Chicken and Potato Soup with Bacon 

 photo JanMeatballs.jpg
Main: Meatballs in a Tomato Sauce 

 photo JanCupcake.jpg
Dessert: Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting 

Everything tasted absolutely awesome, if I do say so myself, even if we were ridiculously stuffed after eating only the soup. I'm sure that we'll be making all of these dishes again in the future although I'm certain it'll not all be at once again! So much work and far too filling for that on a regular basis.

We finished the night with the duvet on the couch, snuggled up, listening to the soft snores of Roxie while we watched a couple of films on Netflix. We settled on Hot Rod (2.5/5) and Safety Not Guaranteed (4/5) before calling it a night.

I think it was fair to say that January's date was a success. I can't wait for February's now...

Pass me another cupcake, please.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

10 comments :

  1. awww too sweet! you have given me the idea to write down some date ideas down! my husband and I made dinner one time together and it was fun. we also lighted up candles haha it was so cheesy but cute. we had a nice evening in :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both love cooking but normally if I'm cooking I don't want him in the kitchen. Everything has to be done my way or I get really annoyed plus he never tidies up the mess he makes so that just annoys me. Haha. This time there was no shooing him out the kitchen or mess though and it was really lovely to cook together. I might let him help me out more often now...
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Wait, what? Chicken and potato soup with bacon?! Why didn't I know about this?! I need to make some.
    In all seriousness though this is so awesome. It sounds like a lovely evening and I'm dying of a cuteness overload from Roxies sweet little face!!!

    I really actually love this so much. I'm full on grinning. :)

    Best wishes, Danielle xo
    www.underlandtowonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup is genuinely amazing! I'll have the recipe for it up soon if you want to give it a go yourself. I would never have thought to put them all in a soup together but honestly, it was incredible.
      It was a great night (hopefully we'll do it again soon) and Roxie's little face never fails to make me smile!
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. Aww this is so lovely! I am thinking of doing a similar present for valentines day, it is so cute. I will have to make sure I put this in there as Paul and I don't cook together often! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good way to make sure that we do something more with our time together rather than just play Xbox - not that playing Xbox isn't good, of course. Getting Kami to open the envelopes is a bit nerve wracking though cos I don't know whether he'll think my "date" idea is rubbish! Haha.
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. Aw looks like it all turned out grand and those cupcakes look so cute! I have to be honest, it's hard to get Joe into the kitchen to cook stuff - his answer is always a take out lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half the time Kami wants to get take out and I have to be the one to remind him we don't have the money for it all the time. Haha. It was nice to cook together for a change and it was pretty yummy too!
      Debi x

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a great date! I love cooking with Kris, we're kind of terrible at it haha. We do cook quite often together, we make dinner almost every night. We tend to buy takeaway when we want have a special dinner, or we go out to eat - which I love doing!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the recipes too! The soups sounds delicious.

    I'm all for pushing the ugly parts of the food out of the photo too!

    Also, I like these food photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipes should be up over the next few weeks so you'll have that to look forward to ;) Monday to Friday I do the cooking as I'm at home while Kami works and then at the weekend we usually take a day each to cook. I think I'll definitely be trying to convince him to cook together again sometime soon. It was actually sort of fun!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .