January Book Round Up

February 05, 2015

I set myself the fairly reasonable target of reading thirty books this year (I'm on GOODREADS, yo!) so I'm feeling pretty delighted that I managed to read three books during January, putting me ahead of schedule. Let's hope February can be as successful - although it does only have twenty-eight days so maybe I won't be too harsh on myself, you know?

 photo JanRound-up.jpg

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
Whilst perhaps a little contrived and predictable the first book of the year didn't disappoint. Mia is abducted by Colin as a part of an extortion scheme against her wealthy parents and is meant to deliver her to his employers. The plan takes an unexpected turn when he instead decides to hide away with her in a secluded cabin. I wrote a full review HERE if you want to know what I really thought.
Rating: 3.5/5

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult
The truth is I am a massive Picoult fan. I've read just about every book she has ever published and I've even read some of them four or five times. There's just something about her controversial topics and writing style that sucks me in. However, Leaving Time fell a little short for me.

With the help of a psychic and a jaded private investigator, thirteen year old Jenna goes on the hunt to find her mother, Alice, who disappeared from the elephant sanctuary she worked at a decade ago. For much of  the book I felt like I was reading something from National Geographic whenever we heard Alice's viewpoint. "Enough with the elephants already. I want to hear the real story," I said out loud, more than one much to the amusement of my husband. It just felt like such a slow burner at points that I lost patience with it but I persevered and I'm honestly glad I did. It really picked up towards the end (to the point that it was almost difficult to put down) and in Picoult's trademark storytelling not everything was as it seemed.
Rating: 3/5 

The Peacock Emporium by Jojo Moyes
Suzanna Peacock returns to her home town where she is haunted by her mother's legacy, back to a family where she never feels as though she fits. Her only solace is her coffee/curio shop named "The Peacock Emporium" which provides a place for other town misfits, originally much to Suzanna's displeasure. It is here that she embarks on her first true friendships but after a series of tragic events, Suzanna is forced to face her feelings and the truth about her mother.

I had really high hopes for this book after I had read "The One Plus One" by Moyes on my honeymoon in October and whilst I definitely enjoyed it, "The Peacock Emporium" did fall a bit short. Initially I found this quite a difficult book to get into. For me, it took too long to get to the real meat of the story instead filling chapters with details that I probably could have done without. That being said, once the story really got going I can't deny that I enjoyed it. After all I read about half the book in one day...
Rating: 3/5

I feel like I've moaned about all these books but honestly, I think I got off to a pretty good start reading some pretty decent books. Besides I must have liked them enough - I haven't lost my reading mojo yet which can only be a good thing.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

6 comments :

  1. A bit of Piccoult is one of my guilty pleasures...I don't know why guilty but it is. So a bit disappointing that this one was a bit off. I loved the honesty of your review of the Good Girl and I think I'll give it a whirl when I'm done with The Girl on the Train. Although that might be too many girls for one month!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about The Girl on the Train. I think I'll add it to my list of books to read! I have pretty much every single one of Picoult's books and normally I love them but I just wasn't feeling this one as much.
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. I'll check these out! Maybe even have one be my next book club pick! I’m not sure if you’re interested but I currently have a Marc Jacobs Lip Crème giveaway happening on my site, check it out if you fancy! http://www.birdfacecollection.com/2015/02/marc-jacobs-lipstick-giveaway.html

    Xo,
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good books. I hope you like them if you read them.
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. I liked to read Picolt books a few years back, I could always find then going cheap in the charity shop. Not sure what that's saying about our book choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Maybe that they are one time reads only?! She's definitely one of those authors that I always want to read -even if on occasion her books have let me down.
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .