RECIPE: Chicken and Potato Soup with Bacon

February 06, 2015

 photo JanSoup.jpg

As a part of our DATE CHALLENGE FOR JANUARY we made this amazing chicken and potato soup with bacon as our starter. I promised that I would share the recipe for this substantial soup that is sure to become one of my favourite soups to make and here it is.

 photo SoupIngredients.jpg

Ingredients (Serves 4)
  •  1tbsp butter
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 250g smoked lean back bacon
  • 2 large leeks
  • 2 tbsp plain flour
  • 1 litre chicken stock
  • 200g skinless chicken breast
  • 4 tbsp double cream
  • 800g potatoes
Step One: Prepare all the vegetables and chop up the bacon and chicken. This can take quite a bit of time thus it is so much easier to move from step to step if everything is prepared in advance.

 photo Baconleekonion.jpg

Step Two: Melt the butter in a large sauce pan over a medium heat before adding the garlic and onion. Cook until softened (about 3 minutes), stirring occasionally. Then add the bacon and leeks cooking for a further 3 minutes, stirring.

Step Three: Mix the flour with enough stock to make a smooth paste in a small bowl. Stir it into the pan with the bacon, leek, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

 photo JanChickenandPotatoSoup.jpg

Step Four: Pour in the remainder of the chicken stock. Add the potatoes and chicken  and bring to the boil, allow to then simmer for 25 minutes. You can add salt and pepper here if you want. I would recommend not adding salt as the smoked bacon does an ample job of providing saltiness for you! After 25 minutes the potatoes and chicken should be cooked through.

Step Five: Stir in the double cream and cook for another 2 minutes and then serve.

The recipe says it serves four but I found that it made probably about six, really filling servings. I also think that it would be really nice blended into a smooth soup but we've yet to try doing that!
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

8 comments :

  1. Mmmmm this looks delicious Debi, I love anything with bacon in it to be honest haha! It's so cook you're doing recipes. If I had a kitchen of my own (not my parents) I like to think I would cook so much more and I would love to do blog posts on different recipes, but my kitchen is never free for that :( haha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything with bacon in it is a winner! It's good. I don't try out new recipes nearly enough. I always seem to find ones I like and just stick with them for a really long time instead of trying something different!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Soup is one thing I've never tried making for myself. i'm not sure why, I guess I always think it's a hassle but this seems pretty straight forward. Plus it looks so tasty, just what you need on a winters day to warm you up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect for a winter's day for sure. My mum always made home made soup when we were growing up so it's one of those things I'm actually not too bad at making! Haha.
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. Such a great flavour combo, I love making a huge batch of soup and taking it for my lunches. Great for date night starter too though.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be ideal for lunches I think. Nice and tasty but totally filling at the same time.
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. Kris and I have only made one type of soup, chicken noodle soup. I've been wanting to try a creamy soup for ages and this sounds super tasty! I need to invest in something that can actually blend soup... it's all chunky soups here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never made a chicken noodle soup but I'd like to. We blended it after this post went up and it was VERY thick. Definitely needed less potatoes or just to stay chunky ;)
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .