Six Months Married

February 03, 2015

 photo DSCN1085.jpg


It's such a blogging cliche but where has the time gone? 

Sunday the 1st of February marked six months since I walked down that aisle, stuttered some words that I barely remember now, got a new, sparkly ring on my finger and left the room as Mrs T. Six months. Half a year. How is that even possible?

I suppose the same could be said for the fact that ten years ago this month was the first time I actually met that man I now call my husband. Spending a decade of your life with someone should perhaps be a little terrifying but if anything all it does is make me feel old. We were nothing but teenagers, completely unaware of just how entwined in each others' lives we would become. We had no idea how we would shape each others lives and mold the other into who we are now. But we have and I wouldn't change it for the world.

People say that marriage changes you and your relationship. Since taking his name and becoming his wife, which by the way still seems strange and feel far too grown up for me, I've only seen our relationship grow stronger. We are more settled now. Comfortable and secure in the fact that we both want this to be forever. 

I never thought I'd say this (and feel free to grab a bucket now) but I think over these past six months I've actually fallen more in love. How that could have ever even been possible eludes me but everything about being married to Mr T. just feels right. He's absolutely who I want to wake up next to in the morning, who I want to build a life with. I want him by my side on each adventure, holding my hand and reassuring me that everything is going to be fine when my anxiety ramps it up a gear.

There's a lot of hard work that goes into a marriage. Heck, there's a lot of hard work that goes into a relationship in general. We would be deluding ourselves if we ever thought that a lifelong commitment would be plain sailing but the thing is that it doesn't feel at all like hard work when I'm side by side with my best friend. It doesn't feel like I'm having to fight for what I want or battle to keep the connection we have going strong. It comes naturally.

I know when I have to put in the effort to make things better. I understand that I need to compromise and allow him to do his own thing or make his own mistakes but I'll be there to pick up the pieces if things don't work out right. I'll bite back "I told you so's" and remind him of all the reasons I love him when he makes mistakes. I'll be his cheerleader when he lacks self belief and I'll always have his back in a fight - although with my puny muscles I'm not sure how much help I'll be.

I know that he feels the same about me.

And when the time comes that we hit a bump in the road that leaves our tyre flat and the engine spluttering then we'll take the time to fix it. We'll put in the hard work and fight for each other. We'll compromise and listen. We'll make changes and get us back on the road in no time because nothing worth having is ever straightforward. Marriages, like everything else, take a lot of work.

I know he's worth that hard work. I know this marriage is set to celebrate a whole lot more six month anniversaries.

Although I'll probably stop counting them after a few years.

Then again, maybe not.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

16 comments :

  1. Congratulations on 6 months! my husband and I will be celebrating our 2 year anniversary in April. We've been together since we were teenagers too! 6 years! I can't believe we've been together that long haha I noticed that after we got married we were so much more comfortable with each other too :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two years? That's lovely. I know that since Kami and I have been together for going on ten years being married for six months is nothing but it's still nice to notice it, if not celebrate it.
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Happy 6 months! Although getting married isn't something I have really thought about, there's something about that forever feeling that intrigues me. I like the way it cements the relationship together, I do like that very much. I think I'm getting old, actually thinking that I like the idea of getting married, but maybe it has something to do with having a person I wouldn't mind too terribly about marrying :)

    I might let "I told you so" slip a few times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm a bit traditional in the sense that I always wanted to get married and have kids but I get it's not for everyone. Sometimes it is about just finding that right person and sometimes finding that right person is enough and you don't need marriage. It's nice to know that we both definitely want this to be a forever thing though. I think people forget that getting married isn't all about a wedding though.
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. We'll be celebrating our 8th anniversary this year and nope, you never stop counting the months and years and with each anniversary that passes, you'll say, "jeez, where's that time gone?" It never changes! Happy 6 month anniversary! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Eight years, that's fab! I already feel like the time has gone in so fast. It's crazy that it was already six months ago and even crazier that it was ten years since I first met him. Time really does fly!
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on six months, what a lovely landmark! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I hope there's lots more to come ;)
      Debi x

      Delete
  5. Aw congrats on 6 months! I totally agree with all you have said, it is so nice having your best friend beside you through all these things! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I honestly don't think I could do marriage if it wasn't for the fact that he is absolutely my best friend. It makes everything so much easier.
      Debi x

      Delete
  6. It's weird how much time seems to fly when you get older! December marked our 3 year anniversary and it feels far from that in reality. We actually suck at remembering it I will be honest, it has actually passed us by before. Haha we're silly like that lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it! I wish I could go back to the days when time dragged! Haha. I'm one of these people who remembers dates really easily (Kami forgets everything) so I don't see us forgetting anniversaries and how long we've been married. I even remember dates for really inconsequential things which is a bit weird.
      Debi x

      Delete
  7. This is truly amazing! Congratulations on 6 months!

    Zoe
    http://www.thatszoe.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a bit late for a 6 month congratulations comment but CONGRATULATIONS anyway!
    There's a weird feeling that goes with the permanency of marriage I think, comforting and reassuring and completely empowering. Knowing that someone's got your back, always, is pretty incredible.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, it feels so reassuring but at the same time makes me feel like I can do just about anything. Haha. I love the fact that we are a team.
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .