Date Challenge: March

March 13, 2015

"Now that it is no longer Baltic outdoors (I hope) it's time to expand your mind. 
Go to a museum or other historical landmark and soak up some culture. 
Learn or experience something new and wander around until your feet hurt."

 photo Stegasaurus.jpg
 photo Triceratops.jpg
 photo Saber Tooth.jpg

I could easily spend days in museums. I love getting lost in in history or incredible exhibits showcasing some of the more jaw-dropping pieces of the world that we live in. I can pace from large room to large room, my feet beginning to ache, a dull throbbing in my lower back and barely even notice the time that passes me by.

I love knowledge. Expanding my mind and absorbing new details is genuinely one of my favourite things to do and where better to do so this month for our date challenge that the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh? With a fantastic Games Masters exhibit featuring over one hundred playable games and an array of other fantastic exhibits this was the perfect place to get lost in one dismal Saturday in March. The games would keep the husband happy and entertained and I got to marvel at the wonders of the natural world - namely dinosaur skeletons and really cool animal exhibits.

 photo Natural Museum.jpg
 photo Natural Science Exhibit.jpg

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but even as a little girl I found myself mesmerised by dinosaurs, sharks and even snakes. Apparently deadly, dangerous animals, even of the extinct variety, have always left me morbidly fascinated. With a real Tyrannosaurus Rex poking his head through the entrance to the natural science exhibit I knew that an hour or two would pass in the blink of an eye as I took all that was to be seen.

Although there was no photography allowed (a blogger's nightmare right there!) we found the Games Masters exhibit to be pretty cool too with old school arcade games such as Pac-Man and Asteriods being playable from the moment you step inside its doors. There was also a number of Nintendo and Sega consoles and even an area set up for Rock Band, Sing Star and Dance Central. Starcraft, World of Warcraft and The Sims were also playable as well as a number of lesser known indie games. There was even a nod to Scotland's creations of Grand Theft Auto and Lemmings with incredible artwork and plans on display. We may have even stopped to create a rather unusual looking creature, which the husband named the Sadasaurus, in Spore because you know, we are such mature adults.

Dotted throughout the exhibit there was plenty of information about a number of games designers and games galore to play - even if you occasionally had to wait your turn as the room was jam-packed with people. Still it kept the husband entertained and even I, as someone with only a casual interest in games, enjoyed it - despite being too chicken to really have a go on anything.

 photo Lion Pride.jpg
 photo Tiger and Kangaroo.jpg
 photo Wallaby and baby.jpg
 photo Frog on glass.jpg

After about three hours and only seeing a little of the actual museum we decided to call it a day as we had at least an hour's drive back home to tackle. Plus, the parking ticket on our car was about to run out! We've decided we'll come back again, possibly sometime in the summer and have a proper look around the rest of the museum.

Do you know what? I don't even know what other exhibits they have on show. Oh well, I suppose that will be a surprise whenever we go again.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

8 comments :

  1. Looks amazing, will add to my list of places to visit! I've always been fascinated with dinosaur skeletons too, not sure what it is about them.

    Zoe | floral and feather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty great. I'm looking forward to going back to the museum sometime and I'll definitely be dragging the husband to look at the dinosaur skeletons again. They're just so fascinating!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. This looks like a lot of fun! Kris and I would definitely go here. He'd love the games exhibit and I can't say no to dinosaurs! I have to say, the museum looks really well lit, I usually find when you go places like this that it's hard to get good photos as it's always so dark. I guessed it hard something to do with the light affecting the exhibits so I can't really complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, dark rooms are not conducive to nice photos (neither is an old camera, mind you). The massive room with the natural history exhibit was a bit dark but it wasn't awful. I did have to alter them slightly on picmonkey! Haha. The main hall is beautifully bright though.
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. Wow I would love to go there, ive never seen fossils before.

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love museums and exhibits with skeletons and fossils so I'm always hunting them down!!
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. I actually think that it is always great to leave wanting more - be it from a museum or a new city that you are visiting on holiday, because then you are left with a happy feeling of appreciation of the place you have visited and an incentive to return.

    I too am a huge lover of museums and the National Museum of Scotland looks pretty great - love the architecture inside of the museum as well - just another reason why I love museums to be honest. They are either housed in amazingly old buildings or extremely sleek modern ones. Games Masters sounds so fun - too bad no photography was allowed, but from your description it definitely sounds like a great exhibition! And dinosaur bones are pretty interesting, but I think when I was a kid I was more scared of them than fascinated by them!

    Rae | love from berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It's nice to go somewhere and want to go back again soon. I think it shows just how good somewhere is.
      Going to museums is seriously one of my favourite things to do ever. I love spending hours wandering around exhibits, absorbing little tidbits of information. It's even better when the exhibits are set up excellently in engaging ways!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .