RECIPE: Chicken Stir Fry

March 26, 2015

Whenever I cook something new I tend to work to a recipe, changing certain ingredients and measurements as I go until I get it just the way I want. Sometimes it can take several attempts before it is no longer the recipe out of a book or online and instead something that I've created. However, there is nothing better than saying to hell with recipe guidelines and just wingin' it.

That's exactly what I did for this recipe which, in my opinion, totally turned out to be a success by the way. That being said, it does mean that I'm a bit sketchy with exactly how much of any of the ingredients I truly used - especially the mangetout, baby corn, sweetcorn and chicken. I just picked out as much as I thought would be enough so the measurements below are estimates. Use what makes you happy!

 photo Stir Fry.jpg
 photo Stir Fry 1.jpg


INGREDIENTS (Makes 2-3)
  • 400g egg noodles
  • Chicken (ours was already cooked)
  • 1/2 tbsp Chinese five spice
  • 10ml sesame oil
  • 1tbsp olive oil
  • Soy sauce (optional)
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 50g mangetout
  • 60g baby corn
  • 1 small onion
  • 1/2 red pepper 
  • 40g sweetcorn

 photo Stir fry veg.jpg

Step One: Crush the garlic clove and add it to the sesame oil and chicken five spice, stirring into a mixture. Coat the chicken in the marinade and allow to sit for about 20-30 minutes. We used cooked chicken but I think that uncooked ones would probably soak up the sauce quicker.

 photo Stir fry chicken and veg.jpg

Step Two: Prepare your other vegetables. Heat the olive oil in the pan and add the chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the baby corn and pepper next, allow to cook together for another 2 minutes before adding in the marinated chicken. I cooked this for about 3-4 minutes but if you are using uncooked chicken obviously increase the cooking time until the chicken pieces are cooked through.

 photo stir fry 6.jpg

Step Three: Add the noodles with a splash of soy sauce and stir thoroughly. You could also add a little more sesame oil at this stage if you want to. As soon as you've stirred the noodles in add the mangetout and the sweetcorn and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. This will maintain a crunch in the mangetout so if you'd like them softer I suggest adding them with the baby corn and pepper instead.

Step Four: Serve, preferably with prawn crackers.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

4 comments :

  1. We love making Stir Fry, especially because you can just wing it! We usually make waaaay too much but it's also good as leftovers the next day!

    Measurements wise, it's always a pack of this, a pack of that... You at least seemed to apply some logic here :)

    Looks like you made quite a lot in the end!

    Noodles always drive me insane, I can never get them to mix properly, and usually we leave them out because we can't fit them in the wok. If you like bean sprouts, they add a nice crunch if you throw them in at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love making Stir Fry, especially because you can just wing it! We usually make waaaay too much but it's also good as leftovers the next day!

    Measurements wise, it's always a pack of this, a pack of that... You at least seemed to apply some logic here :)

    Looks like you made quite a lot in the end!

    Noodles always drive me insane, I can never get them to mix properly, and usually we leave them out because we can't fit them in the wok. If you like bean sprouts, they add a nice crunch if you throw them in at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stir fry for just being able to throw in loads and loads of veg and spices! Delicious indeed! Although we always have ours with rice, noodles freak me out a little for looking too much like worms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yumm! I love making a similar stirfry, mangetout and sweet corn is the best right! I really like using oyster sauce as well x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .