February & March Book Round Up

April 03, 2015

Well, I've come up against the first book of the year that threatened to make me give up on my thirty book challenge. I'm still trucking on through though, continually reading - albeit slowly. Three books over two month isn't great and has put it one book behind on my schedule but I'm hanging in there and that's all that really counts now, isn't it

 photo Feb Mar Books.jpg

Don't Tell by Karen Rose
Mary Grace and her son are living in Chicago with anew identity after escaping her abusive cop husband. However, when her car is found her violent husband, Rob, is hot on her tail to hunt her down and take his son back. Now don't get me wrong I love a good thriller and I'm not opposed to a bit of violence or dark themes in a book but this one just didn't do it for me. I don't know whether it was the subject matter of domestic abuse that put me off or just the writing style in general but I found this a really tough book to push on through.
Rating 1.5/5

The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes
When Sophie Lefevre's French town comes under German occupation her portait painted by her husband, who is now fighting at the Front, captures the attention of the local Kommandant. The Kommadant's interest in her painting (and indeed her) causes her to risk everything in hope of seeing her husband one more time. Almost a century later Sophie's portrait belongs to Liv, given to her by her husband shortly before his sudden death. The painting means the world to Liv so when the Lefevre family claim the portrait was stolen during the war Liv fights for it, learning of its dark history in the process.

Jojo Moyes is fast becoming one of my favourite authors and this was not a disappointment. The story was compelling and engaging, written half in 1916 from Sophie's perspective and present day in a cohesive way. The storyline of Sophie was beautifully written and it was lovely to see a character with such hope and faith in others at such a desperate time in history. However, I must admit that the modern half of the story was perhaps a little lacking in depth but the characters were likeable which is more than can be said for some of the books I've read lately.
Rating 4/5

I am Legend by Richard Matheson 
Robert Neville is the last man alive after a vampire epidemic has swept the world, turning his world upside down. Locking himself in his house each night, ignoring the blood-thirsty people outside, he desperately tries to understand what has happened and searches for a cure. But how long can he survive alone?

Whilst this is a great take on the vampire myths, I'm not sure how well it has stood the test of time after being originally published in the 1950s. With only one perspective throughout the entire book this can sometimes feel a little dull with not a whole lot of excitement, especially considering there are vampires just outside his front door. Of course, I understand that this is the entire idea - he is the last man on the planet, he's alone and isolated, his days are largely very mundane - but I'm just not sure it makes the best plot. For me anyway.
Rating 3/5



Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

2 comments :

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .