Loch Lomond in the Sunshine

April 29, 2015

 photo Loch Lomond 4.jpg
 photo Loch Lomond.jpg
 photo Water front.jpg

Last week we had some unseasonably warm weather in Scotland. The skies were clear blue, the sunshine slowly toasted us to the bone as the temperatures stretched to about twenty degrees. Needless to say it was pretty short lived. By the weekend the temperature had dropped by about ten degrees and that horrible wet stuff was falling from the sky again. It is Scotland after all.

Anyway as I was still recovering from my surprise surgery from the week before the husband had taken the week off. It was just too beautiful outside (and I was feeling so much better) not to make the most of  the beautiful weather. Up, fed, showered and dressed we decided to pack the dog into the car and take the 45 minute drive to the little village of Luss on the banks of Loch Lomond.

 photo Ducklings 2.jpg
 photo Boat and ducks 2.jpg
 photo Luss Pier.jpg

I used to come to Luss on day trips with my family as a small child and have many memories of the place so it's always nice to return with my own little family of the husband and dog. Having said that, my most vivid memory of the place is my big sister getting stung by a wasp. I don't really know what that says about me or the time I've spent on the banks of Loch Lomond really. I love the fact that despite living on the outskirts of a major city it doesn't take long until you can be surrounded by beautiful countryside in Scotland.

We had some lunch, wandered along the waterfront and sat on the slightly pebbly beach watching as the ducks swam by. Spotting a little group of ducklings brought home the reality that it was still only spring and not summer as the weather was trying to convince us. I was glad to see there were no swans to put my nerves on edge. I've been pretty freaked out about them since one of them hissed and flapped rather aggressively at me and my childhood dog when I was about ten. Terrifying!

 photo Kami and Roxie water 3.jpg
 photo Kami and Roxie Water 2.jpg
 photo Kami and Roxie Water.jpg

Roxie was panting away in the heat and after some gentle coaxing she finally dipped her toes into the still water of the loch. Before long she was charging into the water, up to her neck, trying to chase the ducks - who were all a safe distance away from her. She couldn't have reached them anyway as 1) we don't think she can swim or she hasn't shown the inclination to and 2) she is always kept on the lead so the husband could have pulled her away if she had gotten too close. I feel like I should also add that none of the ducks were bothered by her nor were the ducklings in sight! It was so amusing to watch her splash in the water, bouncing about, having fun as it was something that she had never done before.

 photo Loch Lomond 2.jpg
 photo Roxie Sitting.jpg
 photo Boat 2.jpg

Sitting on the grass by the car park, letting Roxie dry off in the sun we had an ice-cream before jumping back in the car and heading home. Luss, and Loch Lomond in general, is definitely on my list of day trips for the summer although I can guarantee that when we do go back it won't be nearly as quiet as a mid-week day while the schools are in!

I am so glad that I we got to make the most of some of the beautiful weather while it was here, especially as when I look outside my window as I write this there are big, black clouds looming overhead. As I've said before, the good weather never lasts for long particularly in Scotland!
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

18 comments :

  1. Wow, this place is surreal. So beautiful and peaceful looking, take me to Scotland! :D
    The wet stuff is falling here again too v.v oh well - gotta water the plants musn't us! :)

    Have a lovely day Debbie :) <3

    Big love

    Sarah xxo | thesaltyseablog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love taking a wee trip to Loch Lomond although in the summer it is always crawling with tourists! Haha. The weather has been such a let down compared to last week. I'm back to being cold and soggy again! No fun.
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. The baby ducklings are adorable! Glad you (and Roxie!) got to have such a nice day, the weather looks like it was fantastic.

    www.carlyandmoth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the little ducklings - so cute. The mother duck was properly eyeballing me though, making sure I didn't get too close to her babies!
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. Roxie seems to have enjoyed the water after you got her in it! What a cutie. Looks like a lovely day had by all, and ducklings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Kami practically had to drag her away from the water (and the ducks) once we got her in it. She absolutely loved it which was quite a surprise to us. She's never shown any sort of interest in water before. Needless to say she needed a bath the next day!
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. It looks completely gorgeous, especially in the sunshine.
    Hope your recovery is going well and I'm super glad that there were no swans, those things are not nice!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing much better, thanks Michelle. I think the nice weather last week coupled with having the husband home all week helped me feel so much better much faster.
      Debi x

      Delete
  5. Ah it looks amazing! Glad you got some sunshine, the weather has gone terrible down here as well. Can't wait to visit Loch Lomand in the summer! xx

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it although I'll warn you now that if you go on a nice day then it will be so, so busy! Hopefully we'll have some of the nice weather waiting for you by then. Where else are you planning on visiting while you're up here?
      Debi x

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos! making me excited for being back in Scotland this summer. Only two weeks to go till uni finishes and I'll be back. Also Roxie is the cutest thing ever!

    http://lifewiththeroofdown.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you. Scotland always looks ten times better in the sunshine I think.
      Debi x

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are so pretty! Sounds like Roxie had a fun time in the water. We just got a puppy and he loves being in the water!! It's fun to see him have fun but I hate the mess he makes afterwards lol!

    Jessica
    pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos of Scotland always look better when the sun is out! I was pretty amazed at how much Roxie seemed to enjoy the water seeing as she's never shown any inclination to it before. Maybe she just really wanted to catch a duck! Needless to say she needed a bath the next day!! Haha.
      Debi x

      Delete
  9. Great posts =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful day trip! Sounds like all three of you had a nice time.
    I know a lot of people talk about hanging out with friends, but I love days like this, just me and Kris (we can't really take Pork Chop to the beach...). There's something so easy about spending the day with your favourite people.

    Love the photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Imagine taking Pork Chop to the beach! I think he's just a little bit too small for that. I agree, there is something pretty awesome about spending the day with your favourite people!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .