Book Tag:: Element Book Covers

May 08, 2015

I know that I've still to write up my monthly book round up for April but when I stumbled across this tag on THE BOOK JOURNAL I knew that I wanted to do it. There is no time like the present so let's just get right to it, eh?

Water 
 photo Water books.jpg
  • Find a book with water on it.
  • Find a book with blue on it.
Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult
After years of living in the shadow of her oceanographer husband, Jane and her teenage daughter, Rebecca, travel across the country to her brother's apple farm after an argument. Now her husband who is know for tracking whales has to track down his wife and daughter while they make a number of self discoveries.

A typical Picoult book written from several character's perspectives that is wrought with ups and downs and the usual tragedy that leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. It's been a few years since I read this one and whilst good, it isn't one of my favourites by Picoult.

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Four strangers meet on the rooftop of a building on New Year's Eve after each of them has decided that they wish to commit suicide. All four of them are incredibly different, dealing with their own misfortunes, but are now linked as they decide not to take their lives.

This is a surprisingly charming story about suicide and the connections that we make with people. It's funny, intense and thought provoking.
 
Fire
 photo Fire books.jpg
  • Find a book with fire on it.
  • Find a book with red on it. 
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
An obvious choice for "fire" and I'm pretty sure that I need not go into detail of the plot as just about everyone has read the series. If you haven't we can't be friends any more. I'm kidding - sort of. Chances are if you haven't read it by now then you aren't interested in the series at all. Moving on...

Whenever I reread the H.P. series this book is always a bit of a sticking point for me. It isn't as if the plot isn't enjoyable (it is), it's just that, for me, it drags on a little and I'm left tapping my foot thinking "Just get to the point, Rowling."

Scott Pilgrim: Precious Little Life by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Scott Pilgrim is in a band, he's between jobs, he's dating a doting high school girl. His life is awesome. That is until the enchanting Ramona Flowers comes skating into his life and he is besotted with her. To win over Ramona is going to take some work - including taking on her seven ex-boyfriends.

I read this entire series back in the summer of 2010 and thought it was great. It was the first "comic" series that I had ever really read and since then I've gone on to read some more. The art style is amazing and the story is cute and quirky.

Earth
 photo Earth Books.jpg
  • Find a book with something related to the earth on it.
  • Find a book with green on it.
Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult
As Luke Baxter lies in a coma after a car accident, his family face the impossible dilemma of deciding whether or not to switch of his life support. Whilst his daughter, Cara, waits for a miracle his estranged son, Edward, feels that it is time to let him go. He can't imagine that a man who once ran with wolves would ever want a life like the one Luke would lead. Cara will go to any lengths to stop that from happening. 

Dilemmas, controversies, broken families, court proceedings all make up a typical Picoult book and in that respect this lives up to that. However, whilst I liked this book it did lack real flair that can be found in some of her more popular works.

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
This tells the story of Elphaba, later known as the Wicked Witch of the West, in her early years, long before Dorothy and her house came whizzing into Oz from Kansas, crushing her sister flat. An outcast due to her green skin, we finally get to hear Elphaba's side of the story and what led her to become such an infamous character.

If you're expecting a copy of the musical you'll be in for a huge surprise when you pick up this book. It is dark and somewhat disturbing in places and whilst I found the retelling of the witch's story intriguing it didn't draw me in. I'll stick to seeing the musical a thousand times over. At least it's less dark and a fair bit happier!
 
Air
 photo Air books.jpg
  • Find a book with air on it.
  • Find a book with white on it. 
The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simmons
The Second World War brought hardships to many in Russia and during the summer of 1941 the Metanov family find themselves suffering in a bleak Leningrad. Starving for food and enduring a bitter cold as German forces advance, life as they once knew it has evaporated. For Tatiana the summer of 1941 brings an intense love for a Russian soldier, Alexander. But all is not as it seems as he has a dark and dangerous secret.

I absolutely loved this book when I first read it and promptly read the subsequent books. It is beautifully written with imperfect characters and horrible situations. It was so easy to get lost in this book that I might just have to read it again soon.
 
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
In World War I, Paul Baumer enlists along side his friends in the German army. Whilst originally filled with enthusiasm and adventure, the boys soon realise the horrors of war are not exciting at all. Paul realises that he is much like the men that he fights against and yet he must keep on fighting as that is the only way that he can survive the war.

I first read this book for Higher English in my fifth year at school and whilst everyone else was complaining about it, I secretly loved it. Maybe dissecting it wasn't particularly enjoyable but the story in itself was. Written from the German perspective put an entirely different spin on World War One for me, bringing home the fact that whilst these were fictional characters, the ones in the real conflict were actually someone's son, brother, husband, friend.
 
Spirit Bonus
 photo Spirit bonus book.jpg
  • Find a book with blue, red, green and white on it.
The Peacock Emporium by Jojo Moyes
Suzanna Peacock returns to her home town where she is haunted by her mother's legacy, back to a family where she never feels as though she fits. Her only solace is her coffee/curio shop named "The Peacock Emporium" which provides a place for other town misfits, originally much to Suzanna's displeasure. It is here that she embarks on her first true friendships but after a series of tragic events, Suzanna is forced to face her feelings and the truth about her mother.
 
I've read two other Jojo Moyes books and I have to be honest; this one is my least favourite by quite a bit. Initially I found this quite a difficult book to get into. For me, it took too long to get to the real meat of the story instead filling chapters with details that I probably could have done without. That being said, once the story really got going I can't deny that I enjoyed it.
 
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

1 comment :

  1. I definitely don't have enough books to make this tag haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .