Slow Cooker Recipe: Beef Stew

June 12, 2015

 photo 24 May.jpg


I'm not a huge fan of the texture of beef. I mean, you won't ever catch me eating a steak no matter how it's cooked and I have no desire to eat roast beef either but I do still like the flavour. Therefore when we bought our slow cooker earlier this year I was certain that I wanted to try cooking a beef stew. My thought being that slow cooking the meat would make it much softer and thus, no nasty, off-putting texture! It was such a raring success that I thought I'd share the recipe with you.

In the interest of full disclosure, as I am a bit of a newbie with my slow cooker, I did find this recipe online although now I can't remember exactly where from. That being said, we did omit a few things (Worchester sauce and celery are two ingredients that spring to mind) and we changed the quantities to suit us so I think it's probably okay to share all the same.

INGREDIENTS (serves two)
220g diced beef
10g plain flour
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 onion
1 carrot
A pinch of paprika
One beef stock cube dissolved in 150ml of water (or 150ml beef broth)
Potatoes (we made mash separately)
Salt and pepper for seasoning

STEP ONE: Place the meat in the slow cooker and mix the small amount of flour into the meat to coat it. Add salt and pepper to taste.

STEP TWO: Dissolve the beef stock cube in 150ml of hot water. I know a lot of stock cubes say to be dissolved in a higher quantity of water but the original recipe asked for 150ml of beef broth and we had to improvise. I think that by dissolving the stock cube in a smaller amount of water it made for a stronger flavour.

STEP THREE: Stir in the crushed garlic, bay leaf, chopped onion and carrot, and the beef stock. Add a pinch of paprika. If you are cooking the potatoes with the rest of the stew (and not as mash like we did) you can add them to the mix now too.

STEP FOUR: Cover and cook for four to six hours on high. I think we left ours for about five and a half hours before serving it, stirring occasionally as I found it sticking a little to our pot. If you're out all day then you can cook this recipe on low for ten to twelve hours instead. 

STEP FIVE (OPTIONAL): Don't forget that if you are wanting mash with the stew then you'll need to cook them separately. Lots of butter and milk makes them extra creamy!
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

3 comments :

  1. Oh I've never added paprika to ours but I love the thought of that.
    We like a couple of parsnips in a stew but not too many - they're a bit strong flavoured.
    Hope you're enjoying the slow cooker - I once saw a recipe for slow cooked mulled wine, can you imagine coming home to that whiff? Lovely!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beef stew. It is one of the only recipes that I can actually cook :P I cook mine on the stove but sometimes in the slow cooker too. I Love my slow cooker!

    Jessica
    Pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I owned a slow cooker! But I'm not sure my freezer could handle all the bulk cooking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .