Why Grand Plans Fail

August 06, 2015

 photo Anniversary flowers.jpg


Grand plans. I always have them.

Plans to keep up to date with blogging and to regularly read other people's blogs. Plans to complete my novel to a standard high enough that would allow me to feel comfortable knowing someone else was reading it. Plans to reorganise my house, to reorganise my life. And yet, somehow, something always gets in the way. Life always gets in the way. You would think that by now, at the age of twenty-five-part-two (okay, okay, twenty-six), that I would have figured out nothing in life ever goes exactly to plan. Life is always right there to disrupt your plans. But I haven't.

The thing is I am a real list maker. I like to have plans and ideas and a schedule that I can work with albeit a little loosely sometimes. I like to know what is coming next as, too often, spontaneity and I don't mix very well. Whenever spontaneity and I do happen to bump into each other it normally results in some sort of meltdown on my behalf and lots of unwanted anxiety, and so lists and me are friends. However, like most friendships, my reliability can be tested.

You see each time that I go to complete something on my Grand Plans List I realise that I've forgotten to add three other things on said list that should probably be tackled first. On to the list they go and the thing I actually meant to do gets forgotten about for another few weeks as G.P.L. and I have failed to catch up. If I'm lucky nothing else will have cropped up in the meantime but let's be honest shall we? Life will have cropped up and there will be something else that takes precedence over the task you wanted to complete in the first place.

I think what I am essentially trying to say with all this rambling is that I've been unreliable lately in the world of blogging but I want to be better. It's just that sometimes, with all those crazy, real life things going on, I just don't have the time nor the motivation to sit down with my laptop and write down all the weird things that are flying through my head at a million miles an hour. Sometimes I have to do something else that is a couple of things further up my G.P.L. and sadly blogging slips down the list. Sometimes I just can't be bothered.

But that's okay, blogging for me is meant to be fun, a relaxing, little outlet for when I need a break from the really big things that life is hurling my way. To be honest, maybe it shouldn't be on the G.P.L. anymore. Maybe it needs to find a new list to live on...
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

9 comments :

  1. You nailed it at the end, maybe it shouldn't be on that list any more - the beauty of it is that it will always be here, waiting for you, when you need to escape from the GPL. Keep it as a treat.
    I always struggle if I've mandated myself to do something, once it's on the list though: OH THE PRESSURE.
    I want to read this novel so if you could whack that to the top of the list that'd be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally putting blogging on the fun list now. I hope that by using it as a reward for getting the "important" stuff done first I'll not only make more time for it but I'll also have more motivation to actually write the odd post here and there. I'm on the first redraft of the novel but I'm pretty sure it's pants. I liked it at first but now I'm not so sure!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. I'm liking the G.P.L idea! I think I probably only complete about half the points I make on every list, but writing a list can be satisfying in itself.
    With your blog we know that everything you write is 100% genuine and from the heart, and I think that's worth more than consistency by far! I'll continue to read and love every post, regardless of how frequently they arrive :D
    lily x
    jolihouse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lily! That's such a lovely thing for you to say - and a lovely thing for me to hear. Hopefully they'll be a bit more frequent in the future now that I am trying not to see them as something on my G.P.L. but as a reward for getting stuff done. Trying to make blogging feel fun again!!
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean! This is me all over. Don't be too hard on yourself 'cause it's often the things that aren't on the list which are the most fun ;) x

    http://whiskshooksandbooks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And it's the fun things that we would all rather be doing!
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. I think we all struggle with this at times. I've found the older I get, the better I am at prioritizing, not necessarily being organised but working in a way that gets things done. And working the best way that works for me.

    Routines are key too I think. Especially with working from home, being home alone all day, I feel there isn't that strict routine that makes me as productive as I could be. So I have to say have a morning doing the gardening, another doing DIY on the house. Monday's are always pure work days. I'll spend a morning or a couple of hours every week setting up, planning organising my blog posts. Knowing I've set that time aside and I've ticked it off - pressure is gone. Everything else - hobbies, movies, baking whatever fit around the key things. Somehow it falls into place. Most of the time lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely struggle with not having a routine at the moment. I think that I sort of have to allot time to certain tasks and things that I want to do otherwise I'll never get them done. I used to be so organised all the time with things that needed done and things that I wanted to do, giving everything a place throughout the week but I've not been doing as well with that lately. Must try harder! Haha.
      Debi x

      Delete
  5. Yes, all over. This was July all over for me, I had all these ideas of things to do, things to achieve and all these plans for blogging. Sometimes, I think it's just so easy to think about blogging, but the actual task of doing the blogging is a lot more hard work.
    We decided to work harder on our daily routine this month, and so far so good, when I have a routine, I have more motivation to do things and the list starts going down.

    Still, blogging is for fun and if I over think it then it's not fun any more.

    You'll work something out, I find that just writing something like this makes me a bit more motivated to work something out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .