The Scottish Tag

September 01, 2015

 photo The Scottish Tag.jpg

I think that I am probably the last of the Scottish bloggers I follow to do this tag. Not that I follow myself of course, that would be absurd! I'm always late to the party on these things. I first saw this tag done a while ago over on Charlotte's (Colours and Carousels) YouTube followed by Hayley at Water Painted Dreams and Kirsty at Hello Zelda and, being Scottish myself, I thought I might as well join in. YOLO* and all that.

Whereabouts in Scotland are you from?
I'm from just outside of Glasgow, growing up just north of the city.

Where is your favourite place that you've been to in Scotland?
This is a tough one as Scotland is filled with beautiful places and I have so many wonderful memories of different places. If I'm not counting Glasgow then I think I'd have to say Dunfermline for the beautiful abbey and Pittencrief Park (The Glen).

Where would you like to visit in Scotland?
Anywhere and everywhere really. I have never been to any of the islands so I suppose it would be nice to visit the likes of Arran, Lewis and Harris.

What is your favourite Scottish film?
I don't know. There is something about hearing actors, even the Scottish ones, put on a forced Scottish accent that makes me cringe. If I'm completely honest I don't think that I have seen many Scottish films but that's probably because when filmmakers want to film beautiful Scottish scenery they use Ireland because the fees are cheaper!

Do you match up to any Scottish stereotypes?
I actually don't think I do. I'm not ginger, I don't really wear tartan and I don't even have a particularly thick accent. I think I'd disappoint a great many foreigners who believe that all Scots live up to the stereotypes.

What is your favourite Scottish food?
Whilst I like the taste of haggis (really, it's good), I don't really like the texture which often puts me right off eating it. That being said I haven't had it in a few years now so maybe if I try it again I'll like it. Note to self: try haggis again. I do however like shortbread, Irn Bru and tablet which I think are fairly stereotypical Scottish foods.

Do you follow any Scottish traditions?
I'm not really sure what Scottish traditions there are. I mean I like a good ceilidh and it's not a wedding if the last song isn't Loch Lomond but are they really traditions? I don't know, maybe. Also, can I just ask you non-Scottish people what on earth do people use for the end of their weddings if not Loch Lomond by Runrig? I mean really.

What is your favourite Scottish word?
"Playpiece" and "dreich" have probably got to be my favourite Scottish words. I couldn't quite believe it when I found out that not everyone calls a playpiece a playpiece but rather a snack. Like, what? You eat it at playtime hence playpiece. Duh!

What is your favourite Scottish song?
If we are going for something more modern then I think I'd probably say "Pride" by Amy McDonald. We played it at our wedding and it was awesome. Obviously it goes without saying that "Loch Lomond" by Runrig has to be up there too.

Can you recommend any Scottish bloggers? 

*Just writing that word makes me feel yucky and incredibly uncool!
 
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

5 comments :

  1. I've never actually heard of playpiece before. I do say pieces as in sandwiches but at primary school our playtime was either called playtime or snack. Literally just snack. They were an imaginative bunch, haha. Arran is beautiful! I'm the same, really want to visit the Scottish isles, Oban, Skye and such! Scotland's scenery is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's a Glaswegian word then. Haha. I'd love to see the isles. They all look so beautiful but knowing my luck it'd be chucking it down while I was there!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. You don't follow yourself?! I follow myself... It made me feel better to see my follower count go up by one haha!
    We used to call it break time, so it was always a break time snack which you bought from the tuck shop haha.
    I've never been to Scotland, but I would love to go and see all the scenery, it's always so beautiful in photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scotland can be beautiful - especially if the rain decides to stay away!! You should definitely come for a visit sometime.
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. I'd forgotten all about playpieces! Agree about the Scottish accent on screen, it's a bit cringey to begin with ('we sound like that?! really?!')

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .