TRAVEL:: A Weekend on the Yorkshire Coast

September 04, 2015

 photo Reighton Sands 2.jpg
 photo Reighton Sands 19.jpg
 photo Reighton Sands 11.jpg

Nothing makes me feel better than getting out of my normal surroundings and escaping to somewhere new. When Kami and I received some bad news in August we decided that we would continue with our plans for our little weekend getaway and, if I'm honest, I think it was the best thing that we could have done at the time. Exploring new places, forgetting all the serious things that are happening, even if only for a few days, can make all the difference in the world.

After out holiday in Amsterdam and having to leave Roxie at home we decided that we would like to take her with us this time and so we chose a caravan park on the Yorkshire Coast with the hope that at least the weather would be better than Scotland's weather. So long as it wasn't absolutely chucking it down then we were a-okay with venturing out with the dog and exploring the area with long walks. Fortunately we lucked out and despite the strong winds on Sunday, the weather was glorious. I even managed to wear my shorts for what I genuinely think is only the fourth or fifth time this year!

During our time away we visited Scarborough and Whitby, and had a flying visit through Filey. When you've got a dog and the sun is shining all you really are interested in is getting out to parks, and in this case beaches, for a few hours of exploration and so that's exactly what we did. Roxie was completely in her element; smelling everything possible, ignoring almost every single dog (yippee!) and chasing any wildlife she could. Don't worry though! She's always kept on the lead so she never gets anywhere near said wildlife.

 photo Peasholm Park Waterfall 5.jpg
 photo Peasholm Park Squirrel 7.jpg
 photo Peasholm Park Waterfall 2.jpg
 photo Peasholm Park 1.jpg

Waking up to blue skies on Saturday morning we decided to go exploring in Scarborough with Peasholm Park being our starting point. I don't think there is a park quite like this anywhere near where we live. With Japanese style gardens and statues to a small lake on which you can rent boats and pedalos to long walks, the park has plenty to offer. Despite being the height of the English summer holidays the park was surprisingly calm and peaceful. Well, at least, until Roxie spotted the many brazen squirrels that were hopping from tree to tree, running across the path only a few feet away from us. Being a terrier, Roxie becomes a bit obsessed by squirrels, desperate to catch them!

After a quick drive along the coast in Scarborough and through Filey we headed back to the caravan park and down to the beach for a picnic lunch. Sitting by the sea, the breeze in my hair with my two absolute favourite people (well, person and dog) in the world felt awesome. If I could I would wander along a beach every single day for the rest of my life. There's something so lovely about the view, the sounds, the sand between your toes. Ah, bliss. We followed this us by sitting out beside the caravan playing games in the summer sunshine because we are so cool like that.
 photo Whitby Abbey 3.jpg
 photo Whitby Harbour 3.jpg
 photo Whitby Harbour 5.jpg
 photo Whitby Abbey 1.jpg
On Sunday we visited the coastal town of Whitby. My dad's uncle used to live in Whitby so it was somewhere he often went as a little boy but despite this, it's somewhere I've never been before. Being so close I knew I wanted to go and visit the place that my dad had spent so many of his holidays. Whitby is a lovely little town with an abbey sitting on the cliff overlooking the harbour.  Despite the blustery wind we enjoyed a seaside ice-cream and wandered the busy streets, bustling with tourists. Kami had to carry Roxie once or twice purely because the streets were so busy that she would have been trampled on! Still, it was a lovely little town and we were glad to have explored it.

 photo Reighton Sands 13.jpg

Just getting away and spending time in each others' company was just what the doctor ordered. There's been a few times since we went that I almost wish that we could rewind time and just go back, have the waves of the sea carry our worries out into the world, breathe the salty air deep into my lungs and relax. 

I think I need to move near a beach pronto.
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

6 comments :

  1. Fabulous photos! Looks like such a great place to visit. Also glad to hear Roxie had a wonderful time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anywhere with long walks and plenty of animal scents to sniff keeps Roxie happy! She loves getting out and about exploring just about as much as I do!!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. Ooo kinda in my old neck of the woods. I use to go to Filey a lot, the beach is incredible there and there's always some great rock pools to poke around in! It's a cute little town too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Filey looked lovely. We didn't spend too much time there though because it was really busy when we went. Probably to be expected on a sunny Saturday afternoon in the middle of the English school holidays! Haha.
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. What a nice weekend! I visited Whitby a few years back and it was a cute little place, although full of people. Despite going to uni in the North, we didn't see much of it :(

    It's good to get away though. It's good to just relax with your favourite people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Whitby was absolutely mobbed. Still, we enjoyed our little wander around the place even with the pretty strong winds blowing us all over the place. At least the sun was shining! I think I need another little getaway already!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .