First Snowfall of 2016

January 22, 2016

 photo Winter Walk 1.jpg
 photo Winter Walk 7.jpg
 photo Winter Walk 9.jpg

I'm one of those people who has an absolute love/hate relationship with snow. I love to see it arrive but I never want it to overstay its welcome. And if I have something to do, out and about? Well, you best believe it I won't be a happy bunny.

Seeing the world covered in a stark white sheet of fresh snow can be truly breathtaking. It's got a certain beauty in its blankness, obscuring the colours of nature from view. Watching each snowflake fall from the sky, swirling about as if doing some intricate choreography as the float like feathers to the ground, is mesmerising. If I'm honest, I caught my mind drifting off on more than one occasion as I watched the snow become thicker and thicker on the ground outside my window.

 photo Winter Walk 5.jpg
 photo Winter Walk 2.jpg
 photo Winter Walk 8.jpg
 photo Winter Walk 4.jpg

The moment I see a thick enough layer on the ground the kid on me pops her head out from the hidden depths and the urge to get outside it almost too much to bare. I can't even pinpoint the reason why but when there is snow in the ground I simply must go outside and explore. If it were rain then there wouldn't be a chance of getting me to go for a voluntary walk but snow? Sure thing. Let me grab my boots.

Maybe it has something to do with the memories of building snowmen and having snowball fights as a small child that it invokes that had me reaching for my hat and gloves on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe it's the cute way Roxie bounces through the snow, her little, purple jacket wrapped tightly around her as she leaves tiny little pawprints everywhere she goes. Maybe it's the serenity that washes over me with the streets muffled in the blanket of snow, the soft crunch of the snow beneath each footstep. I don't think that there is a sound I like more in winter than that.

 photo Winter Walk.jpg
 photo Winter Walk 6.jpg
 photo Winter Walk 3.jpg

This year it snowed at the most perfect time: the weekend. A weekend that I didn't have any concrete plans that would be ruined by inconvenient snow. Kami and I were able to lounge about in the house, staying cosy, only to venture out properly once each day for a walk with Roxie. On Sunday we went to a local park and wandered through the snow looking at people's snowmen, capturing the beautiful way the snow lay on the trees around us with my camera. Although to be fair, I don't think any of the pictures did it justice. Still, it was a perfect way to spend the weekend.

I'm just glad that it's gone now. I hate it when snow overstays its welcome and becomes a scary sheet of ice!
Next Post Newer Post Previous Post Older Post Home

8 comments :

  1. I love the snow! I love everything about it, even when my bus in cancelled and I have to walk an hour home in the dark, I still love the snow!

    I love the photos you've got of the pond/lake! Frozen water and snow, it's a perfect picture!

    Here's to more snow, I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow is fine so long as it doesn't disrupt my plans or turn into horrible sheets of ice. That being said, I do enjoy a nice walk in the snow!
      Debi x

      Delete
  2. I love snow! It makes everything look pretty and hides away the mess. Love /roxie's little paw prints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is nice how it sort of hides all the mess although it's not so lovely when it turns slushy!
      Debi x

      Delete
  3. Yay snow! :D I love the chaos that comes with it ^_^ Not so much fun when you live in a place with hills though :P Love the paw print shot :3

    Sarah xxo | thesaltyseablog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so keen on the chaos that it brings but this time it was just perfect with it happening at the weekend!I can imagine living somewhere hilly in the snow can be a bit of a nightmare. Luckily, it's fairly flat where we live!
      Debi x

      Delete
  4. I use to love the snow until I moved to Michigan and yeah. There's nothing that compares UK to Michigan snow fall. Saying that it's been (luckily) rather light on the white stuff this year - not that i'm complaining! Great photographs btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can imagine this barely compares to what you get in Michigan! I can't say that I would like that much snow. It must get pretty annoying after a while. Then again, I'm sure Michigan is much more prepared for snow than Scotland is!
      Debi x

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. It means so much to me. I try to reply here but if you want a quicker reply feel free to tweet me @dibdabdebsblog

Scroll to Top
Content © Dib-Dab-Debs ∙ Blog template by NatuRia Designs .